What's the funniest 4/20 story you've heard?

In honor of the cannabis celebration, 4/20, staff writer Rachel Jones blazed forth to the streets of Chapel Hill to ask students about the funniest 4/20 stories they’d ever heard.

“We all went to Ehaus woods to smoke, and we were on the bridge in Ehaus woods. We heard a dog bark, and I just kind of got sketched and said, ‘Oh, let’s pack up. Let’s get out of here,’ and then not a minute after we finished packing up, flashlights popped on and University police came upon us. They were like ‘What’s going on guys? Having a good time?’ It was midnight on a Friday, so it was pretty obvious what we were doing. I was the only one that had a bag on me so they just locked eye contact on me and I was freaking out and grabbing this tree like, ‘OK, man, be cool, be cool.’ They said ‘Either of you guys have any marijuana on you? We smell marijuana,’ and we all said no. 

Oh, and the best part was when the police pulled their lights out, all of the girls just screamed at the top of their lungs, and I was like ‘OK, great, that helps.’ The guy made eye contact with me and was like, ‘Are you sure none of you have any weed? If we bring a dog down here, is he gonna smell anything?’ and I was like, ‘Oh God, they have a dog,’ and we continued to be like ‘Nah, sorry officer, can’t help you.’ 

They took all of our student IDs and gave us a talking to and all that good stuff. At the end, they were just like ‘All right, we’re code green’ into their walkie-talkies. I was like ‘Oh shit, this can mean one of two things, like code green as in they’re good or as in they have weed.' Luckily another 30 seconds passed. There was a good cop, bad cop thing going on and the good cop said, ‘All right, you guys are good to go.’"

-David Klingman, sophomore, music performance major 

"I came downstairs over winter break to find my brother high on the front porch."

-Abigail Parlier, junior, peace, war and defense and Africa, African American and diaspora studies major 

"I had some friends that made some pot brownies and decided that the best thing to do while they were high with the brownies was to watch Planet Earth. They just watched it for a while and then it hit them. One of them ended up eating a whole lot and then just puking off the side of our porch."

-Bailey Johnson, sophomore, psychology major 

"One time I was coming back from a party at 2 (a.m.) or 3 a.m. I was headed back up to my dorm, Ehringhaus, in an elevator, and I think I was there for quite a while just like standing, and I was wondering why I wasn’t moving and why I wasn’t there yet. I realized that I was there for a good two or three minutes, and I hadn’t pressed the button. I just kind of laughed to myself and pressed the button to head back. I was really stoned."

-Devin Cornacchio, first-year, music performance and mathematical decision sciences major

"This guy that my friend met at a party hit him up and asked what he was doing, and he told him to come down to his on-campus apartment on South Campus. He went over there and they were smoking weed through a vape and all of a sudden, the fire alarm went off. They all freaked out and ran out of the house. When they ran out, there were all these men in blue shirts standing around, and they were like ‘What’s going on? Is everything OK?’ and they were like, ‘Oh, it’s just a drill.’"

-James Hughey, first-year, business administration major