ACC Tournament fate up in the air for UNC baseball after 10-1 loss on Saturday

An NCSU player attempts to tag out Eli Sutherland (3) at first base during the baseball game against NCSU on Thursday.

The No. 17 North Carolina baseball team dropped its regular season finale to No. 14 N.C. State, 10-1, at Doak Field on Saturday. After the loss, the Tar Heels (34-21, 13-17 ACC) will have to wait on Game 2 of a Saturday doubleheader between Boston College and Georgia Tech to see if they will make the ACC Tournament. 

North Carolina scored at least two runs in the first inning on both Thursday and Friday, but could not get anything going at the plate in Game 3. 

After their first five batters failed to reach base, the Tar Heels picked up a double and a single to put some pressure on N.C. State (34-18, 15-13 ACC) pitcher Ryan Williamson. But North Carolina was unable to capitalize, as first-year catcher Cody Roberts struck out to end the inning. 

Over the next two innings, N.C. State would tally three runs to take the early lead. UNC responded with a run of its own in the top of the fourth inning, but the Wolfpack tacked on two more in the bottom of the frame to push the lead to 5-1. 

N.C. State put the game away in the bottom of the seventh inning. After getting the leadoff man on, the Wolfpack went on to score three runs in the frame, the latter two coming off of a towering two-run home run to left-center by Evan Mendoza. N.C. State led 9-1 after the seventh inning, and North Carolina couldn't come back. 

Arguably the only player worth mentioning for UNC was Adam Pate. In his first three plate appearances, the junior right fielder picked up three two-out hits. His teammates were unable to hit him in, however, on any of the three occasions. 

For the Wolfpack, junior first baseman Preston Palmeiro went 2-for-2 on the day with two RBIs. His two-run home run in the bottom of the third inning ended up being the deciding swing of the game, as North Carolina couldn't get its offense going in the middle and late innings. 

After the Tar Heels cut the Wolfpack lead to 3-1 in the top of the fourth inning, N.C. State scratched across two runs of its own to push the lead to four runs. 

Brett Kinneman led things off for the Wolfpack with a double off reliever A.J. Bogucki. After the next batter struck out, two more N.C. State runners reached base, on a walk and a fielding error, respectively. This loaded the bases with one out. 

Bogucki hit the next batter to score a run, and after getting the next batter to fly out to center, was relieved by Hunter Williams. The sophomore left-hander walked the ensuing batter, giving the Wolfpack another run and a firm hold of the game. 

The Tar Heels came into Saturday's game in control of its own destiny in terms of making the ACC Tournament. If UNC would have won, they would have been the ninth seed in the tournament. 

Instead, North Carolina will have to wait for the conclusion of Game 2 of the doubleheader between Boston College and Georgia Tech to find out if it makes the tournament. If the Eagles win, the Tar Heels will be out of the conference tournament, and will have to wait and see if the NCAA selection committee gives them an at-large bid into the NCAA Tournament.

Where do they play next?

If Boston College loses Game 2 of the doubleheader, North Carolina will play in a play-in game in the ACC Tournament in Durham on Tuesday. If the Eagles win, UNC will have to wait until May 30 to see if it will earn a bid into the NCAA Tournament. 

@jbo_vernon