Donation stations encourage students to donate their belongings

The "Don't ditch it. Donate it!" program set up donation stations in residence halls all over campus for spring move-out (courtesy of Debbie Bousquet).

“Don’t ditch it. Donate it.” The goal for the Department of Housing and Residential Education has been to encourage students to donate their unwanted belongings instead of throwing them out. The program creates "donation stations" in residence halls at the end of the semester. 

Debbie Bousquet, facilities management coordinator for the DHRE, said since 2009, approximately 244 tons of donations have been collected with an average of 38 to 40 tons of donations per year. 

She said the program was first modeled after Penn State University’s move out program, in which all donations were collected, then sold in a yard sale. It has since changed its model.

“2009 and 2010 were the first two years in which we did a yard sale model, and it was called Tar Heel Treasure,” Bousquet said. “We moved from that yard sale model to still collecting everything, but partnering with local non-profits.”

Bousquet said the program currently partners with Triangle Residential Options for Substance Abusers, a local non-profit that takes all of the non-food items and sorts them for resale at their thrift store and annual yard sale. The program uses the money they raise goes directly into funding their substance abuse programs. 

The UNC Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling also works with the program.

Amy Preble, recycling coordinator for the office of waste reduction and recylcing, said she works closely with Bousquet to ensure that waste, recyclables and donations are separated properly. 

“We have a crew that empties dumpsters and roll off, and make sure things are put in the right place,” Preble said.

Bousquet said this includes keeping an eye out for items that can be donated, and moving them to donation stations. Donations include clothing, furniture, electronics and food. She said all food donations go directly to Carolina Cupboard.

Bousquet said a key part of the success of the donation program has come from student’s willingness to donate. She said all 36 residence halls plus Odum Village, Baity Hill and Granville Towers have participated in donating. 

Bousquet said community wide emails and weekly newsletters from community directors in the residence halls encourage students to donate their unwanted belongings as the semester comes to a close.

Mahogany Monette, a rising junior, was one of the students that found out about the donation station from a community wide email.

“There is just a lot of stuff that I don’t need anymore, and I’d rather it go to a good cause than stay in the dumpster, not biodegrading, and creating more of an issue,” Monette said.

Bousquet said Duke University and NC State University have modeled their move out programs after UNC, highlighting the impact of their donation initiative. 

She said she enjoys the positive feedback from the community and believes the program will continue to thrive due to strong student support.

“We should never underestimate that students want to give back, and want to try to be green,” Bousquet said.