Moogfest is a four-day festival coming to Durham May 19 through 22

MoogFest 2014
YACHT

“The festival scene is getting homogenized and tired — Moogfest is fresh and different unique,” said Brickman, who is the Festival Director of Moogfest.

Moogfest is a four-day music and technology festival, which starts May 19. The festival will be an all-day event, with modules and educational conferences during each day and nightly music concerts Thursday through Saturday.

“I’m very interested in where culture, education and music intersect so Moogfest was the perfect calling,” Brickman said. “It re-imagines the typical musical festival and daytime tech conferences to create best of both worlds.”

The inspiration for this combination comes from the festival’s namesake, Bob Moog. Moog was an engineer who many consider a pioneer in the music synthesizing industry.

Edaan Brook, a member of the Carrboro-based electronic duo Earthly that is performing at Moogfest, said he appreciates the festival’s emphasis on technology in music.

“I think it’s a festival that’s all about innovation and change in music which is pretty cool,” Brook said. “It’s interesting to see how a bunch of different artists go about their processes.”

Brint Hansen, the other half of Earthly, said the innovative nature of Moogfest is one of the main reasons they wanted to perform at the festival.

“People here are really pushing the limits of what sound can do, and how it can be performed,” Hansen said. “I think that’s a really important thing that isn’t usually stressed in a music festival.”

Moogfest is being held in Durham for the first time this year after spending the past six years in Asheville, where Moog’s music factory is located.

“Asheville is the home of Moogfest, but Durham is known for technology and innovation,” Brickman said. “We wanted to capitalize on the media — Moogfest is all about bringing people to explore the intersections of music, technology and education.”

Moogfest and Durham also have a similar goal — keeping young people interested in technology, particularly in North Carolina.

“We want to keep these young tech graduates from UNC or Duke in the area, instead of relocating to Silicon Valley,” Brickman said. “The more things that exist in the triangle area, the more attractive of a place it is to come.”

With over 300 sessions being held, Moogfest will cover a one-mile walking radius of downtown Durham. Although the festival is selling tickets for the daytime conferences and nightly concerts, there will be events open to everybody in the city.

“Nine of our 12 installations are open to the public in which you can make a synthesizer or go to underground conversations,” she said. “Hopefully it’ll feel like something’s happening, and people will feel like we’re creating an atmosphere of excitement.”

Brickman said although she understands why people are most excited for the nightly concerts, she thinks the daytime conferences will be the most exciting part of Moogfest for many.

“We are into the parties and people will go for the partying, but I also think the day stuff will surprise them and blow their minds.”

@yayjennic