Opinion: Administration should adopt a non-rounding policy

UNC Administration should adopt a non-rounding policy for final grades.

While some professors opt to establish a non-rounding policy at the beginning of class, others do not disclose rounding policies — leaving room for last minute office hours meetings and post-final emails at the end of each semester. Many professors choose not to round, defending themselves by saying “if I did it for you, I would have to do it for everyone,” which is an entirely fair and valid explanation (although one is not necessary in the first place). Some professors, however, alter grades after classes end, leaving room for more aggressive students to benefit from last minute bargains. Life often does favor the bold, however, not having a university-wide rounding policy leaves some students at a disadvantage.

For example, say Student A and Student B were both originally assigned the following grades (with each class being worth 3 credit hours): B+, B, A-, A, C+. Their semester GPAs would be a 3.260. If Student B emailed all of their professors, managing to round up their two lowest grades, their semester GPA would change from a 3.260 to a 3.400.

It could be argued that Student A should have just asked, but there are students who are shy and uncomfortable with the idea of asking for favors­ — yes, asking for a grade change is a favor. Should they be penalized for accepting the grade they were assigned? Absolutely not.

At the end of the day, students should accept the grades that they receive at the end of each semester. The homework assignments they did or did not complete, exams taken, and projects submitted throughout the semester dictate grades and they should be non-negotiable. Points, whether it be one or ten, should be earned and not given.

It should not be commonplace for students to rely on last minute emails to earn a few extra points. Especially ones that were not acquired throughout the semester in order to receive desired grades.

Considering the drastic impact GPAs can have on internship eligibility, job competitiveness, and post-graduate opportunities, it is unfair to not have a consistent policy for all students. As grades accumulate, students who consistently barter for grade alterations have a clear advantage.

In order to avoid this trend from negatively affective future students, administration should establish a non-rounding policy to ensure fairness and avoid potential grading discrepancies between courses and departments.

Doing so would benefit students by challenging students to maintain their vigor and dedication throughout the semester and help professors avoid being pressured into rounding grades by pleading, desperate students.