Saxapahaw gets ready for summer Saturdays

Summer is here, which means catching up with family and friends, barbecues and concerts for many North Carolinians. Luckily, the Saxapahaw community plans on combining these three elements into a free, outdoor concert series

Heather LaGarde, one of the founders of “Saturdays in Saxapahaw,” said the family-oriented, historic community event thrives on its three summer essentials: quality music, food and fun. 

“It has just this kind of spirit of almost a nostalgic kind of throwback to a different era, with a little bit of a modern edge,” LaGarde said. “It’s just a sweet summer festival and it just shows a lot of the talent and generosity of the people in this area.”

The community hosts “Saturdays in Saxapahaw” each summer, where people of all ages can come to listen to local bands and up-and-coming artists. On every Saturday from May through August, guests can attend Saxapahaw’s farmer’s market and music series for free. 

LaGarde said this is a family-friendly event with something for everyone to enjoy.

“There are so many incredible farms and musicians and artists and to bring them all together is just really fun,” she said.

LaGarde, who has been with "Saturdays in Saxapahaw" since it began, said the event is increasing in popularity each year.

“When we started it, we had to beg farmers to be willing to do it,” she said. “Now we average 1000 a weekend.”

Along with bands, LaGarde said “Saturdays in Saxapahaw” has many activities, including the fan-favorite “Trust Bus.”

This bus is available one Saturday a month, and holds up to 40 guests at a time. Since its 2015 debut, the event has sold out numerous times. 

“You just have to trust the bus — you are not going to know where you are going to go, all you know is what time you get on the bus,” she said. “It is just truly astonishing, creative and magical.”

This year’s lineup features a different band each weekend. Out of 400 bands that apply to play in the music series, only 17 get in. 

Steph Stewart, a member of Blue Cactus, said she is excited her band was chosen to perform on May 28. 

“It is just such a great community I feel like that sets it apart from other festivals — it continues to grow and improve,” Stewart said. “There is a unique community in Saxapahaw that you can really feel when you go out to that festival.”

On August 13, Sarah Shook & The Disarmers will take the haystack stage. Shook said she is excited to be coming back to the festival for her third time with the band. 

“My favorite part of performing at 'Saturdays at Saxapawhaw' is to know that I am a part of a broad and diverse lineup and that it is playing for a community that celebrates diversity,” she said.

Shook said she believes people first come to “Saturdays in Saxapahaw” because it sounds unique, but keep going back for the familial atmosphere.

“The people that organize this event, they are music people, but they’re family," Shook said. 

“They bring you in and they make sure you have everything you need not just to play a great show, but (to) have a great time and feel comfortable.”