Clinton rally focused on jobs, discrimination and Trump

Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Hillary Clinton spoke in the North Carolina State Fair Grounds Exhibition Center on Wednesday, June 22.

This hurdle, one which Clinton’s team is working hard to overcome before her presumed November battle with likely Republican nominee Donald Trump, was well illustrated by protestors outside of the Raleigh convention center where Clinton held her rally last Wednesday, who held signs holding messages ranging from “Bernie for the people” to “Hillary plus DNC rigging equals death to democracy”.

“Hillary was certainly not my first choice. I felt like Bernie was much more in tune with the concerns of working people,” said Darren Finnegan, a senior at Clemson University who was in attendance, “Hillary just seemed like more of the same. But if it’s her or Trump, I’m with her all the way.”

During her speech, Clinton emphasized the differences between Mr. Trump and herself on several key issues, and outlined the dangers of a potential Trump presidency, placing emphasis on foreign policy.

“We’re talking about a man who has advocated pulling out of the U.N., killing the innocent family members of terrorists and consistently praises fascists and dictators across the world. His grasp of foreign policy is concerning at best,” said Clinton, “I have spent decades in both Congress and the White House, I’ve been in the war room with President Obama, I’ve had to make those tough calls and I’ve learned a lot. We need a commander in chief who understands the issues and has the judgement to make those decisions.”

Clinton also focused on domestic issues, saying she would create a more just economic structure and help encourage inclusiveness and tolerance.

“We will restructure the economy so that it’s not just those at the very top that benefit. We have to make sure that everyone in this country has access to a good job and a fair wage,” said Clinton, “And to do that, we need a society which does not discriminate against anyone. We need to be breaking barriers to help people get ahead, not building walls to drive them further apart.”

Many Clinton supporters view their vote as not only being the logical choice, but the right one.

“Trump is un-American,” said Betty Ryan, a retiree from Greensboro, “His morals do not match the morals of our country; the way that he treats people is simply unacceptable. He’s a bully. Hillary may have her flaws, but she listens. And she is running because she cares about every American.”

Clinton also assured her supporters she would not be ‘getting down in the mud’ with Trump during this campaign season.

“Donald has to resort to personal attacks because he lacks the policy knowledge necessary to debate the things that matter,” she said.

Clinton supporter Jennifer Rigby, a teacher from Asheville, said she feels certain Clinton’s experience will be apparent during the campaign season.

“I don’t think there has ever been a more experienced person to run for this office,” she said.