Opinion: The ACC doesn't account for all of athletes' needs

With each passing year, it becomes more and more difficult for student athletes to maintain their performance on the fields and courts while staying afloat academically.

A large contributor to the stress that student-athletes may face is caused by the scheduling practices of the ACC.

The ACC spans from Syracuse University to the University of Miami, so teams from over 15 different schools, spanning over 1,200 miles, are taken into consideration.

The games and TV airings are not scheduled around the athletes themselves but for primetime television. This is great for recruitment, publicity and ratings, however, in doing so, it places student-athletes in a compromising position.

At a moment’s notice, student-athletes may learn of an upcoming game, three days before it is scheduled.

Of course, if the students have the capacity to perform at the Division 1 level, they are accomplished and dedicated to their craft. They have already spent years putting in the work necessary to become qualified for this state in their athletic career.

However, this does not account for the emotional and mental strain scheduling can have on their stability. There aren’t classes on how to be D1 and maintain your GPA and social life.

The ACC does not take this into consideration, and probably will not for years to come, so it is crucial that universities provide holistic support for their athletes.

Of course there are a plethora of people and services available to ensure that they are physically capable of performing. However, since they are spending an inconceivable amount of time outside of the classroom, maintaining their emotional health is just as important.

Fortunately, chaplains are available for each athletic teams here at UNC and there sports psychologists available to support students when necessary.

Even now, during the off-season for many sports, student-athletes are still responsible for maintaining their athleticism and being prepared for when their “designated” season actually begins.

Mental and emotional health is just as important as physical health. Once our athletes leave UNC and pursue professional careers or opt to leave the world of sports for an alternative lifestyle, the four years spent in college can have a profound impact on their growth.

They are still students, first. They are referred to as student-athletes — not athlete-students, for a reason. Hopefully, the ACC will keep this in mind.

opinion@dailytarheel.com