Letter: Millennials cannot remain silent

On the final day of Early Voting for North Carolina’s June primary, voters seemed enthusiastic.

As an intern for Democracy NC, a voting rights organization, I lingered after casting my ballot to see why young people voted.

With only 7.73% turnout in last month's primaries, there weren’t many opportunities. Millennials make up 25% of America’s population and, with over 100 colleges and universities, a significant portion of NC’s.

Now, more than ever, it is crucial that we make our voices heard. As we continue to mourn the 103 Orlando shooting victims, we must remember that the majority of individuals were in their 20s and 30s, with the youngest being 18.

These are the same age groups who didn’t vote in June, and who are desperately needed in November to create tangible change. Orlando, in addition to HB2 and voter suppression laws limiting access to college students, remind us that Millennials are being targeted.

We cannot afford to remain silent. Through Democracy NC’s #votehot campaign, we are showing young people why their vote matters.

By utilizing social media to connect young people with voting resources, we’re leading the fight to increase Millennial turnout. I encourage young people to use their political voice. Together, we are extremely powerful. We must be active. We must not make excuses. We must #votehot.

Sarah Muzzillo

Senior

Journalism