The Clinton campaign stopped in Raleigh Wednesday

Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Hillary Clinton spoke in the North Carolina State Fair Grounds Exhibition Center on Wednesday, June 22.

During former North Carolina governor Jim Hunt's time in office, the state experienced the largest period of economic growth in its history, bolstering its investment in world class public higher education and modernizing the state's economy.

Wednesday, Hunt took the stage at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds and gave substantial credit for what he was able to do in the state during his tenure to federal policies enacted by then-President Bill Clinton. These remarks preceded his endorsement of yet another Clinton. Hunt said he was confident the type of common sense, inclusive policies Hillary would pass would bring back those good economic times. 

"Our next President must be a champion of every American," Hunt said, "Someone who has our backs and makes sure everyone shares in the wealth of a strong economy." 

Clinton was also endorsed by Chris Sgro, director of the LGBT rights group Equality NC, who said a vote for Hillary in September is not only a smart choice, it is a moral one. 

"I am a fierce supporter of the next President of the United States, Hillary Clinton, because she, along with leaders in our state like Roy Cooper, as well as national figures like President Obama and Attorney General Lynch, is not afraid to stand up against discrimination," said Sgro "HB2, which Secretary Clinton has condemned, was created to divide us and target our transgendered brothers and sisters. We need to speak loudly and clearly in November to restore the reputation of our state."

Clinton's speech focused largely on defining her platform as progressive and inclusive, highlighting her desire to restructure the economy such that working people are no longer under-prioritized by federal policymakers. 

"The mission is to create an economy and society which work for everyone and not just a privileged few. And that is as specific as getting corporate money off the sidelines and putting it to work, and it is as broad as ensuring that discrimination, in any form, does not keep us from utilizing the skills of each and every American," Clinton said.

"Here in North Carolina, you've felt the effects of discrimination and its not pretty. It's bad for business and its bad for people. And it doesn't stop with the LGBT community. We must ensure that hiring practices are not barring racial minorities from opportunity. And once and for all, it is far, far beyond time that we pass comprehensive legislation to ensure equal pay for women."

Clinton also took aim at her presumed opponent in November, likely GOP Presidential nominee Donald Trump, who she portrayed as possessing a temperament and lack of policy knowledge which disqualifies him from holding the highest executive office in the U.S.

"One of Donald Trump's talking points is national security. He says he will keep this nation safer than I would. Let me ask you a question: Can you imagine Donald Trump meeting with world leaders? He is temperamentally unfit to be in those situations," said Clinton, "Besides that, he has no coherent plan to address our crumbling infrastructure, expect perhaps building his wall. And top economists have said that his tax plan, which is heavily tilted towards the rich, would put our nation 30 trillion dollars in debt." 

Clinton also expressed optimism that North Carolina could deliver a Democratic victory in the fall. 

"If North Carolina is united in our vision for an economy and society which works for all of us, we will blaze a path not just towards victory here in November, but towards the type of future we are fighting for," she said.     

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition