Opinion: Here’s a summary of this summer’s many happenings

It’s been a long, incredibly eventful summer.

As we’ve been scurrying in and out of our office all summer, our budget meetings have never been short of ideas.

For those of you that may have missed a paper or two, because of traveling or a mishap, the opinion desk is here to help.

Not one, but BOTH of our varsity lacrosse teams won NCAA national championship titles.

The U.S. Department of Justice sued Gov. Pat McCrory and UNC over HB2.

The Student Stores became officially privatized — and the building will never be the same. New computers don’t compensate for the disruption of order, hiding scantrons and bluebooks and hiking up prices.

The Tar Heel Yard sale came and went; there were some inevitable hiccups, but we are confident that next year will be much better.

Chancellor Folt created a new position for the arts, so Emil Kang is now the special assistant to the Chancellor for the Arts.

Martin Brinkler celebrated his first year as dean of UNC’s Law School.

Dr. Taffye Clayton, UNC’s former associate vice chancellor for diversity and multicultural affairs and chief diversity officer for four years, left the University.

The Daily Grind officially closed its doors and is no longer steps away from the heart of campus.

The Department of Public Safety officially introduced the “One Button” to improve communications during emergency situations.

We are officially still an accredited institution and students no longer have to fret about the credibility of their diploma upon graduation.

Outside of UNC we’ve seen incomprehensible deaths in several states, watched a little boy fall into a gorilla pit and learned that another toddler died at Disney World.

Individuals that hold public offices have been saying outrageous things, signing outrageous bills and not acting in the best interests of the citizens that serve out the cheddar (not that this is new.)

A lot has happened, y’all. Especially with election season right around the corner, it will be even more important for all of us to stay informed.

Keep reading the DTH, obviously, but be versatile in your news consumption. Don’t limit yourself based on your political views or presumed culture of a newspaper or news station.

Be sure you keep up, so you don’t get left behind when November comes.