Opinion: In times like these, we need not forget what unites us

We, as humans, all have two things in common. We were born, and we will die.

The identities, affiliations, and social groups that we join along our journey are what differentiate us.

We have the same biological needs and desires, so why is it that so many people find it difficult to see humanity in others? The identities that give us so much strength can blind us as well, when they shouldn’t.

We become so caught up what and who we think we are, and what we think others are, that it hinders us from acknowledging and considering the same in others.

Blindly defending the actions of those who look or identify as something similar to us is dangerous. Just like not identifying or agreeing with another person does not erase their humanity.

For some reason, as of late, it becomes most apparent when unarmed Black men are killed. “He should have done XYZ!” “But, he had a criminal record!” ...and?

Do you think your past transgressions would justify your death? Think about it.

To put this in perspective, let’s take it back to the basics: being mean is wrong. Hitting someone is wrong. Shooting someone is wrong. Killing someone is wrong — yes?

Now, to be more specific: being mean to someone that doesn’t deserve it, is wrong. Suckerpunching someone is wrong.

Using a gun to deliberately shoot someone is wrong. Intentionally killing another human being, in any way shape or form, is wrong.

Having past transgressions does NOT justify shooting an unarmed person.

Killing someone, is wrong. Even if it was “justified,” taking the life of another human being is not okay. The fact that people, not just police officers, have killed people and not been indicted and/or charged is a problem.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Your silence confirms that you are supporting the acts of the perpetrator. So, if you support the murder of an unarmed human being — not because they pose a direct threat to those around them but because of the color of their skin, you too, are a perpetrator.

Not all of us are comfortable protesting, or expressing our deepest thoughts on social media. Small conversations can make a difference.

People should not be killed intentionally. Regardless of race, religion, profession, sexuality or any other distinguishing factor than an individual may posses.