Letter: We need proportional representation

Representation, or the lack thereof, is the problem. 

Next year, the 1967 Single-Member District Mandate will be a half-century old. This marks a half-century of nepotism, oppression and crony capitalism.

This law was created so those in power would be able to keep and control it. My name is Everett Page and I have a Facebook group called “Pursuing Proportional Representation.”

Our sole purpose is to educate and inform the public about proportional representation voting.

Bernie Sanders never mentioned it while collecting hundreds of millions of dollars from the American people. 

However, his whole campaign centered around countries that use this voting system and all the wonderful benefits of social and economic justice they have. This can’t be a coincidence, nor can anyone be that incompetent and not know all had some form of proportional voting. 

As for the lack of representation, if the candidate you voted for loses the election, you don’t receive representation. 

We truly do not get representation with this two-party system. 

We have too many voters afraid to vote for a third party because they would rather try to keep the other party out. This system divides us, in more ways than political lines. 

One excellent website is the “Proportional Representation Library” created by Professor Douglas J. Amy of Mount Holyoke College.

Should you decide to do a story about this voting system, consider doing an ongoing editorial until the November election.

Everett Page

Fargo, N.D.