Opinion: Let yourself find joy in lectures, books and UNC social life

It starts in earnest, probably, about three months after classes start. Around then, some of us begin wishing those classes would, well, end ­— but that would mean missing half the fun of being at college.

Like Reb Tevye singing “If I Were a Rich Man” in “Fiddler on the Roof,” we wish for more free time. Perhaps not a more “idle-diddle-daidle” life altogether, but definitely one filled with more things we like to do.

Things like enjoying cool nights and warm house parties with friends.

We wish this because the University environment lends itself to so many interesting non-academic pursuits. Chapel Hill has a colossal student community (more than 29,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional students), and a student can easily fill his or her time with social opportunities alone.

The pull of this giant social lodestone feels exhilarating. It promises to stretch us as we meet new people and try some new things. Or 200 new things (thanks, FallFest). Feeling fascinated by social life at UNC, then, is normal and healthy.

So is adoring the academics. Being a student at UNC provides unique access to the sum of human learning to this point.

And as far as we know, most of that learning is stored in Davis Library. So grab a delicious stack of books from a few library shelves. Let yourself find joy in lectures, books and journals, as well as in social community.

Even consider forming a “book club” to discuss learning with peers.

You can hum along with Tevye while you do:

“I’d discuss the holy books with the learned men, seven hours every day. That would be the sweetest thing of all”.