Q&A with UNC field hockey coach Karen Shelton on season prep, Rio Olympics

The Tar Heels travel to Winston-Salem for their Aug. 27 season opener against Michigan.

Karen Shelton
University of North Carolina Field Hockey 2010 Team Old Well Chapel Hill, NC Tuesday, August 17, 2010

After coming to Chapel Hill in 1981, North Carolina field hockey coach Karen Shelton has claimed six titles and 10 runner-up finishes in her 35 years at UNC.

She also won a bronze medal as a player with the U.S. National team in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games.

Staff writer Sam Doughton caught up with Shelton as she begins her 36th season to preview the team’s Aug. 27 season opener, discuss newcomers to the program and explain what it’s like to watch her former players compete in Rio.

The Daily Tar Heel: You lost three starters from a year ago (Emily Wold, Nina Notman and Casey Di Nardo). Who’s stepping into those roles?

Karen Shelton: (Sophomore) Malin Evert played on the line last year, and she’s playing in the midfield now. I think she’s doing a nice job there. We have (redshirt senior) Emma Bozek back — she had to take a redshirt season last year. She’s back in the mix and playing very well. (Senior) Julia Young has improved. (Sophomore) Ashley Hoffman is playing in the middle of the field now, where she played right back last year. Those kids are veterans and experienced players.

DTH: The team has seven newcomers this year, including six first-years. How have they acclimated to the team so far?

KS: Very well. Our transfer, (sophomore) Alex Halpin, is playing very well in goal, so we’re pleased to have her. I think (first-year) Megan DuVernois is going to play for us. And then (first-year) Eef Andriessen — she missed some of preseason because of her visa, but she’s finally here. And she’s working and had some good minutes yesterday in the Duke scrimmage.

DTH: You added two new coaches to your staff this offseason. How are they doing in their new jobs?

KS: Emily Wold is amazing, as a former player and somebody that’s playing on the national team now. And then Mark Atherton comes to us from London and is a fantastic coach and brings a new fresh approach. So the staff is probably bigger and better than I’ve ever had in our history.

DTH: Five of your former players competed on the U.S. National Team in Rio. What was it like to watch them?

KS: Well, just incredibly proud, and not only of those players but of the entire team that has been working so hard. You know, they finished last in the London Olympics, and they almost went undefeated in pool play (in Rio) and ended up not medaling, but they finished tied for fifth. You know, it was a great achievement. They would’ve liked more. All of us were hoping and pulling for them.

DTH: You open the season in Winston-Salem this weekend against Michigan and Iowa. What are your expectations?

KS: It’s been very good for us because Michigan/Iowa — the Big Ten powers — have our attention. So we don’t take them lightly. We work very hard to prepare for these two opening matches. So I like to play tough early, and certainly we are.

@sjdoughton