UNC field hockey rebounds with 4-1 win over Iowa in ACC-Big Ten Challenge

WINSTON-SALEM — After losing its season opener against Michigan on Saturday, the No. 1 North Carolina field hockey team rebounded on Sunday with a 4-1 win over Iowa in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

UNC struck early in the game, scoring off a penalty corner right after the 10-minute mark in the first half. Senior midfielder Kristy Bernatchez sent the corner in for a shot attempt by sophomore Ashely Hoffman. The ball was saved, but Bernatchez snuck by the cage to tap in the rebound and give the Tar Heels a 1-0 lead.

UNC earned its second goal through its trademark passing. After receiving the ball on the left side of the field, redshirt first-year Catherine Hayden drew the keeper out of the cage and then passed the ball off to sophomore Mackenzie Mick in the middle of the circle. Mick capitalized on the open net for her first career goal, giving the Tar Heels a 2-0 lead.

Iowa got one back when redshirt senior forward Natalie Cafone intercepted a North Carolina clearance in the circle and lifted in a nice shot to halve UNC’s lead. The Tar heels tacked on a couple of insurance goals late in the second half to kill Iowa’s comeback attempt and seal the game.

Sophomore Ashley Hoffman anchored UNC back line, clearing balls and acting as a pivot in North Carolina's attack. She also had an assist on UNC’s first goal.

First-years Eef Andriessen and Megan DuVernois both contributed to the box score for the first time in their careers. DuVernois assisted on senior Lauren Moyer’s goal late in the second half and Andriessen scored unassisted when she dribbled around the Hawkeye keeper with less that two minutes in the game for UNC’s fourth goal.

North Carolina iced the game with just over 10 minutes to go, as redshirt senior Emma Bozek drove down the end line into the circle and dumped the ball off to DuVernois in front of the goal. DuVernois waited for a split second before passing to Moyer, who sent the ball into the open net for the 3-1 lead.

UNC needed a bounce-back game after losing 1-0 with no time on the clock against No. 10 Michigan just a day earlier.

Coach Karen Shelton mentioned after Saturday's game that her team’s lack of consistent passing hurt them against the Wolverines.

On Sunday, the Tar Heels’ passing was up to the standard Shelton has come to expect, with three assisted goals and plenty of other chances set up in front of the cage for UNC. It’s the type of play the team needed to build on as it heads into the rest of the season.

The Tar Heels travel to New Jersey, where they will take on the Princeton Tigers at 4 p.m. on Friday.

@sjdoughton