Column: The 'Abroad Broad' prepares to depart across the pond

Kiana Cole
kiana

There’s something insanely illogical about studying abroad during the school year.

You’ve spent years working hard to turn UNC into a home. You’ve trudged through that first-year feeling, where you look at your roommate after your parents leave and genuinely have no clue what comes next. You’ve learned to navigate campus seamlessly, except when the basketball players are handing out roses by the dining hall and you trip trying to watch them.

Now, life on campus is routine. You’ve been shaped and strengthened by the people who personify Carolina. And then you decide to cross the pond, pausing the relationships and experiences you’ve built at UNC for four months.

Today, I’m leaving to study in London, England, and I wasn’t attuned to the partial insanity of my decision until this morning — I couldn’t seem to successfully stuff my rainboots into my suitcase, and my frustration somehow escalated into me sprawled out on my carpet, sincerely asking, "What am I doing?"

I’ve been overseas before and understand London isn’t the most culturally shocking location I could’ve picked, but I know it’s also not going to resemble UNC in any capacity. Classes will be taught differently, I’ll be meeting students from all over Europe and if I tried to make a “God is a Tar Heel because look at the SKY!” comment, I’d probably get punched.

As a nervous first-year, I had no way of knowing how integral Carolina would become to my core. As a junior, I’m recognizing that same first-year feeling settled in my stomach again. But now, despite how absurd this decision seems at face value, I know this feeling is nothing but an indicator of incredible adventures to come.

Each week, I’m going to use this column to write about my life as a Londoner — details about traveling through Europe, whether I start saying “brilliant!” or “bloody!” as regular descriptors, how many people ask me if Donald Trump is serious, etc.

If you’re thinking about studying abroad, this column is for you. If you’ve studied abroad and want to live vicariously through my trip, it’s for you too. If you’re not planning to study abroad or are unable to, I hope to use this space as a way to at least give you a glimpse into what it’s like.

I don’t entirely know why I’ve decided to leave what I love about Carolina for the semester. I do know that growth seems to sprout diligently from discomfort, and some of the most illogical decisions are the most transformative.

I’m extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to study in London this semester, and I look forward to sharing what’s hard, what’s incredible and what I’m learning as your resident abroad broad.