First-year student fits the bill (in Congress)

Tarik Woods, a first-year, poses in front of the Hinton James dorm.Photo courtesy of Tarik Woods

Tarik Woods, a first-year, poses in front of the Hinton James dorm.

Photo courtesy of Tarik Woods

Tarik Woods passed two bills through Congress and met President Obama four times — and he is only 18-years-old.

Woods, a first-year double-majoring in English and public policy, said he has been interested in politics for as long as he can remember. He became actively involved around the age of 12, working his way up through various organizations like Young Politicians of America and being involved in a junior ambassador program. 

Woods said his earliest political memory was meeting then-mayor of his hometown, Susan Kluttz.

“I was this little dork with glasses and a mohawk and braces, and she took a picture with me," he said. "That meant a lot to me.”

One of his favorite experiences so far was meeting the president for the first time, shaking his hand and discussing juvenile justice reform with him. Speaking in front of Congress for the first time also ranks highly on his list of favorite experiences. 

Despite his successes, Woods said he still faces difficulty coming across as the voice of a younger generation, especially to older politicians.

“I definitely fight that battle of not being heard,” he said. “The way to beat that is through repetition.”

Over the past two years, Woods helped co-write and pass two juvenile justice reform bills that push for more restorative programs for juveniles rather than unnecessary charges or jail time.

Woods is currently running for a District 4 seat for UNC’s Student Congress. 

But his dedication extends off campus, too. Woods has a tattoo of “We the People” on his back, inked in the same script font as the document.

“The Constitution is very near and dear to me,” he said.

First-year Dorothy Lamina lives on the same hall as Woods and is also part of his campaign team. She said the two are able to have meaningful political discussions despite their different political ideologies. 

“My favorite thing about him is his charisma,” she said. “He’s very passionate and that’s what I love about him.”

First-year Ashley Molesworth said that, although he's very personable, his passion is what she respects the most. 

"The reason I admire him so much is because he works so hard and knows what he wants to do and is committed to it, unlike a lot of people our age who are still figuring stuff out,” she said. “And he’s humble about it.”

Woods’ friends say his ultimate goal is to become president in 2044 — his Twitter name, Mr. President2044, proves it. 

For Woods, compassion is the most important part of a successful campaign.

“I may not be able to understand [someone’s situation], but I will act on it. I will press and push on it to learn from it,” he said. “People want someone to fight for them.” 

@MariaMullis2017

swerve@dailytarheel.com