Florida State's Dalvin Cook offers unique challenge for UNC defense

Dalvin Cook (4) rushes the ball at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Florida on August 5, 2016. The Seminoles topped the Ole Miss Rebels 45-34.

One week after defending Pittsburgh’s James Conner and a month after struggling against Georgia’s Nick Chubb, defensive coordinator Gene Chizik’s unit faces arguably its tallest task yet — containing Florida State’s Dalvin Cook.

“Those are three very quality backs, in all different ways,” Chizik said. “Dalvin Cook is amazing. He’s got amazing speed, he’s got amazing vision.

“He’s really, really good.”

Cornerback Des Lawrence sees differences between the Tar Heels’ past opponents and Cook, a unanimous All-ACC selection last season.

“They’re not as elusive as he is,” Lawrence said. “They’re looking to run through people — but he’s looking to score.”

Cook, who led the conference in both rushing yards and touchdowns in 2015, has lived up to expectations for the No. 12 Seminoles this season.

He leads all ACC running backs with 495 yards through four games — including 329 yards from scrimmage and a pair of rushing touchdowns last week in the a 55-35 win over South Florida.

“He’s known for a reason,” said cornerback Patrice Rene. “Everybody talks about him for a reason, because he produces.”

Perhaps most worrisome for Chizik is Cook’s explosiveness, which was illustrated on his 75-yard touchdown dash on his first touch a week ago.

“He’s got really good vision and makes really good jump cuts and cuts on a dime,” Chizik said.

“If he makes those cuts and you miss him, he can hit his head on the goalpost. He’s that fast.”

Even if the Tar Heels can contain Cook on the ground, he’s still a threat catching passes out of the backfield. The junior recorded 101 receiving yards in the Seminoles’ 45-34 win over No. 16 Ole Miss to start the year, and he added 62 yards last week against the Bulls.

This could be especially problematic for the Tar Heels, considering Conner led Pittsburgh in receiving yards in last week’s 37-36 UNC win.

“Especially if we’re stopping him in the run game, they’re gonna try to find him on screens and draws just to get the ball in his hands and make space,” said linebacker Andre Smith, a sophomore from Jacksonville, Fla.

Despite the pressure facing his defense, Chizik said the Tar Heels are ready for the challenge and don’t plan to alter their preparation.

“We’ve got to make sure that we do a lot of great tackling, a lot of great corralling the ball in practice,” he said. “But in terms of what we do in practice, we won’t change anything.”

While Cook is a dynamic talent, defensive tackle Aaron Crawford said regardless of the opponent, the result ultimately falls on the defense.

“We talk a lot about faceless opponents,” he said. “And although he is a great talent, that’s really all this is for us — another faceless opponent.”

“Whether we’re playing JMU or Florida State, we’ll prepare the same way.”