Gender-neutral bathroom signs to be replaced in Campus Y and across campus

The Campus Y propped up the temporary gender neutral restroom signs on the fire extinguisher. They will replace the old ones with the new gender neutral signs in a few days.

Regan Buchanan, a senior and the Campus Y co-president, said the Campus Y had no warning or prior knowledge the University would be coming to tear down the signs but has since had a meeting with members of the UNC administration. 

Buchanan said during this meeting, she was informed the University would be replacing all gender-neutral bathroom signs in the Campus Y and throughout campus with a more internationally recognized bathroom sign.

The bathrooms on the second floor of the Campus Y have temporary signs, while the bathrooms on the first floor still have the old signs leaning up against the wall. 

Anna Wu, associate vice chancellor for Facilities Services, said in an email the University’s new gender-neutral bathroom signs will feature a pictogram of a man and woman and the words “Restroom” or “Toilet Room”.

Many who are familiar with the University’s involvement in the removal of the Campus Y’s signs have mixed emotions.

“I believe that everyone should have the freedom to go to the bathroom where they please and I think this is a good move by the University,” said first-year Brooke Carpenter.

“I’m not exactly sure how the University makes its decisions but I don’t think it’s okay that they didn’t inform the Campus Y before they made their move.”

Mike McFarland, UNC spokesperson, said the signs were being replaced as part of a campus-wide initiative to increase the University’s gender-neutral inventory.

“The signage being installed is consistent with what all applicable codes require,” he said.

Wu said the Campus Y was not the only place where gender-neutral bathroom signs were replaced.

“To clarify and put the sign removal into context, the Campus Y was not targeted for sign replacement,” she said, in an email.

“Rather, it was one stop among many by Facilities Services staff to post consistent, compliant signage throughout campus to indicate gender-neutral facilities and to add to the campus inventory of gender-neutral facilities.”

@MalinCurry