Graduate and Professional Student Federation holds first meeting of the year

Photo courtesy of Aaron Redus. 

Photo courtesy of Aaron Redus. 

The Graduate and Professional Student Federation senate met for the 47th session on Tuesday and discussed plans for the upcoming school year.

Vice President for Internal Affairs Brian Coussens began the meeting with an open forum, explained the duty of GPSF senate members and concluded the orientation with an oath of office.

Coussens introduced the five standing committees: Appropriations, Finance, Resolutions, Travel Awards and University Research Day. The senators also voted a new committee focusing on senate elections into effect.

GPSF members then nominated and voted new members onto the senate committees. They also voted on five new resolutions and bills. Executive cabinet members, including President Dylan Russell, finished the meeting with committee reports.

Who spoke?

Coussens said GPSF senators will have a bigger responsibility this year. He said senators will be required to send updates to their respective departments.

Russell welcomed the new senators and delivered plans for the upcoming school year. He announced five new focuses — advocacy, civic engagement, the future of GPSF, GPSF bill of rights and the creation of a diverse student professional organization.

A task force on the future of GPSF will bring attention to the possibility of separation.

“We will be voting on separation,” he said. “So based on what happens with the election, this task force is going to say, ‘hey, this is the direction our organization needs to go.’”

Russell said GPSF will focus on avoiding needless drama.

“Last year was full of drama,” he said. “And I just want to let you all know that we are moving away from that. As an organization, it’s not healthy for us.”

Why was this meeting important?

GPSF used the 47th session to introduce new senators to the legislative body. Coussens initiated a nomination process, which appointed nominees to the five standing committees and the Senate Election Process Committee. Russell explained the focuses of the year and introduced the idea that separation from Student Congress is still on the table.

When do they meet again?

GPSF senate will meet again on October 4th.