It's a process: Performing arts program will focus on social justice

The Process Series, a performing arts program at UNC, is continuing its tradition of engaging audiences through an interactive experience unlike any other outlet on campus. It will cross many disciplines with its new season titled “Spoken Justice.”

Joseph Megel, the artistic director, founded the Process Series eight years ago to give artists the opportunity to bring in their work, develop it and present it to an audience.

“My inspiration is helping artists connect to the ability to create at the highest level in terms of their work,” Megel said.

After each performance, the audience is able to give feedback to the artist with their opinions and reactions to the piece.

“As an audience member you have a direct impact on the piece of art,” Simon Wolf, a marketing assistant for the Process Series, said. 

The variety of art performed in the Process Series ranges between dance, spoken word and many other mediums. Not only is the style of each piece unique, but the issues explored in each are incredibly varied.

Mohammad Moussa will perform “Shattered Glass," a longform spoken word piece, in February as part of the season. His performance will honor Deah Barakat, Yusor Abu-Salha and Razan Abu-Salha, who were killed at a Chapel Hill apartment in February 2015.

“My performance takes the audience through this journey of loss and emptiness as a means of trying to find some growth and comfort in the end,” Moussa said.

Moussa has had the opportunity to tour and perform his piece in several different venues such as San Diego State University and the University of Houston in Texas. He said he plans to further refine the piece and perform it again on the anniversary of the shooting in February.

Moussa’s piece is just one example of how the Process Series allows people to speak about social justice issues through artistic expression.

Wolf said he is able to see the artistic pieces in their raw stage of development.

“As an artist and performer, it’s a really unique opportunity to experience the kind of nuts and bolts that go into making a really wide variety of artistic form,” he said.

“Spoken Justice” will kick off on Sept. 30, with its first performance of “Unraveling Beethoven: Beyond the Canon.” Admission for "Spoken Justice" is free.