Letter: ​Gov. McCrory allowed council to clarify HB2

An urgent question before the people of this state is whether the original ordinance of the Charlotte City Council in regard to gender rights harmonizes or conflicts with the present implications of all relevant state government constitutional and statutory relevance and authority.

And also pertinent of course is the question of whether the North Carolina legislature ought to amend, alter or overturn its own present government’s position on these issues.

However, the N.C. General Assembly is clearly wrong to prohibit or block the acknowledgment of new and different gender identity equality status for individual citizens who have actually undergone a medical operation to change their personal gender identities, whether from male to female or from female to male.

Thus, the state government’s current insistence upon birth certificate gender identity as being the only one meriting legal, political and constitutional recognition is clearly wrong and should not be regarded as proper gender identification requirements for persons who have actually undergone medical operations to change personal genders from male to female or from female to male.

Gov. Patrick McCrory’s willingness to support the legislative repeal of HB2 is commendable indeed and certainly helpful to the current policy debate provided that questions over the constitutional propriety of the Charlotte City Council’s original actions in this matter can be resolved to the satisfaction of both municipal governments in Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, and state government throughout all 100 counties of North Carolina.

McCrory is to be commended, in this view of this editorial column, for giving the council the opportunity to clarify its complete position on the local and state constitutional propriety of its original municipal actions.

David McKnight

Durham