Letter: ​Make a statement through protest

As a third generation Tar Heel, proud alumna and football season ticket holder, nobody loves this University and its sports teams more than I do. As a woman, a prosecutor, and a friend to several sexual assault victims, however, nobody is angrier than I am over the University’s handling of sexual assault cases.

My family and I have always been loyal donors to the departments and programs at Carolina for which we care very deeply.

That changed three years ago, when Landen Gambill and Andrea Pino brought to light UNC’s failures on the handling of campus sexual assault cases.

At that time, I publicly vowed that I would not donate another penny to the University until the school made a demonstrable effort to fix the problems at hand and give its students the safe learning environment they deserve. I have kept my word.

Delaney Robinson’s courageous and heartbreaking story this week has shown me that, despite the U.S. Department of Education’s investigation and the University’s subsequent promises to make things right, nothing has changed.

The Department of Public Safety still treats victims like suspects. The administration still drags its feet on investigative and disciplinary actions. Women are still afraid to come forward because nothing will be done.

I now encourage ALL alumni of this great university to withhold their donations to the school and the athletics department until the problem is finally fixed. Money talks. Maybe now somebody will listen.

Allison Linas

Class of ’09