Letter: Student government stands with Charlotte

Unacceptable.

That is the first word that comes to mind following the tragic events unfolding in Charlotte, Tulsa and many other cities around our country.

The Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Outreach cabinet of Student Government is deeply distraught at the mental and physical harm facing black bodies.

We recognize that this issue does not stop at the city limits of Charlotte.

We can feel the pain of the city from miles away, and that pain should be devastating to ALL students. Pain from death and violence is an emotion that should never be segregated.

Yes, we are multiple communities within one space, but we are also one Carolina. When one community is in danger we should all be concerned and empathetic.

We stand with students working to make changes on our campus. We stand with students seeking safe spaces. We stand with students seeking to voice their thoughts and opinions. We stand with students who feel overwhelmed and tired of consistent threats to their very being.

There is an indescribable pain and urge to do something to relieve the stress and confusion that seems to hover above our communities. We ask that you please see our cabinet as a safe haven that has a focus on enacting change.

We are a cabinet dedicated to coalition-building and progress. We are a force for the students and we will continue to speak.

Co-Chairs Cara Pugh and Jihanne Burgess

Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Outreach