Letter: ​UNC needs a museum for Southern history

TO THE EDITOR

UNC Walk for Health would like to suggest the establishment of a Museum of Southern United States History on the campus of the University of North Carolina.

This proposed museum would feature exhibits, artifacts, memorabilia, photos, videos and a library, and host symposiums, seminars and panel dicussions with an emphasis on the antebellum era. UNC Walk for Health is willing and able to raise private funds in support of this museum.

If UNC can have a museum to honor the glorious history of Carolina Basketball (and it should) and can have a quality art museum (Ackland), then it would also be in the best interest of America’s oldest public institution of higher learning to have a place free of charge to visitors from everywhere to learn about the history of the South.

UNC Walk for Health is a two-person organization that sponsors youth recreational activites and other events year-round to promote a life-long interest in maintaining physical fitness. Our overall purpose is to help fulfill the mission of the University of North Carolina, that is, to improve the quality of life for people in this society and solve the biggest problems on the planet.

Bobby Gersten

Class of ’42

William Thorpe

UNC Walk for Health