No. 3 UNC field hockey upset by No. 18 Boston College in 2-1 loss

The No. 3 North Carolina field hockey team kicked off the weekend of games with a tense 2-1 loss against No. 18 Boston College on Friday.

What Happened?

UNC pushed across a goal with 17 minutes left in the first half, but lost that lead less than 10 minutes later when Boston College scored after a corner bounced around in the box. Through solid defense the Tar Heels kept the Boston College attack at bay until the 20 minute mark of the second half. Down the stretch, UNC created numerous chances in the attacking third of the field, but ultimately could not find the back of the cage.

In the low scoring game, it was Lauren Moyer who notched the lone goal for North Carolina. The senior netted her fourth goal of the season off of an assist from sophomore Ashley Hoffman. Hoffman also led UNC in shots with four, and shots on goal with two.

This nail-biter came down to the last minute, as the Tar Heels won a corner while trailing by one goal with zeros left on the clock, but could not get past the Eagles goalie. Boston College grabbed that lead with 15 minutes left, as the Eagles found the back of the cage off of a corner for a 2-1 edge they would not relinquish.

With the loss the Tar Heels drop to 1-1 in ACC play and 5-2 overall, and jeopardize their ranking as the No. 3 team in the country. UNC will have a little extra motivation to tack on ACC wins when Syracuse comes to Henry stadium next Friday. North Carolina lost to Syracuse in the National Championship in 2015.

The Tar Heels will take on No. 20 Maine on Sunday at 11 a.m.

@WBOD3