NPHC general body will meet to discuss future of plots

UNC’s National Pan-Hellenic Council has narrowed in on a proposal for plots representing the organizations on campus.

“Our proposal, we are calling it NPHC garden, will be presented to our NPHC general body at our next general body meeting, which is October 5,” said Mishana Sturdivant, president of the UNC-CH chapter of the National Pan-Hellenic Council.

Plots vary in size and shape across college campuses, but all represent and celebrate NPHC organizations — historically African-American fraternities and sororities.

Plots are traditionally found at historically black colleges and universities, but many have been installed recently at predominantly white institutions, including nearby institutions such as Wake Forest University and Duke University.

Aaron Bachenheimer, director of Fraternity & Sorority Life and Community Involvement, has been involved in discussions with UNC's NPHC about plots on campus since he first took the job in 2011.

He said “NPHC Gardens” will be in recognition of the impact NPHC organizations have had on campus. It is intended to be accessible by all, not solely NPHC organizations.

The exact design and location of the garden hasn’t yet been determined. 

“We have a little inspiration of what we want it to look like, but it really just depends on UNC’s campus, UNC’s administration, the contractor,” Sturdivant said. “Whatever design they come up with, and the specific location that we finally pick that will determine the design of the garden as well.”

Sturdivant said one of the main goals of UNC's NPHC this semester, and looking forward, is being visible on campus. The garden would be a place where anybody could learn more about the Greek organizations, their history and what they bring to the table.

“(People) see IFC and (Pan-Hellenic) houses, that’s their mark on campus,” Sturdivant said. “So, our garden would be our mark on campus.”

Neighboring institution Wake Forest University dedicated a NPHC garden on their campus in 2010. Mankaprr Conteh, vice president of Wake Forest University’s NPHC, said the garden on campus means a lot to her and her sorority sisters. 

“I think it gives us something to come home to,” Conteh said. “All of my line sisters, the other women that I joined my sorority with at the same time, when they’ve graduated we’ve taken their pictures at our plot. When we have our probates they’re right across from the plot after we sing our hymns at the plot.”

Tre Shockley, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity member and president of UNC's Black Student Movement, said he believes the plot will have a huge impact.

“This is the first space that we will have where we can congregate as a Greek community and really fellowship with one another, fellowship with our alumni,” Shockley said. “Then for the black community as a whole, I think you’ll see a lot more connections in between the non-Greek and Greek black community.”

The garden is estimated to be installed on campus sometime within the next one to three years, with the next major hurdle being funding.

“From getting the confirmation from administration and knowing that the University is on board, we’re basically just trying to figure out funding,” Sturdivant said.