Opinion: Celebrate mentors with University Teaching Awards

Our university’s mission is multifaceted, encompassing research and teaching. Both are important, but teaching is most essential to the student experience at UNC.

We encourage students to nominate teachers for University Teaching Awards to honor teachers and teaching assistants who challenge and creatively engage students in the classroom.

It is crucial to recognize educational guidance and mentorship. These awards are a unique opportunity to honor faculty whose accomplishments and dedication extend beyond the scope of research.

As increasingly more professors are non-tenure track or fixed-term, these awards become more essential.

The more student-driven the nomination process, the more this esteemed acknowledgement will go to those who deserve it and reflect the true impact that faculty can have in the classroom.

Write a nomination letter that does your teacher or TA justice — take the time to evaluate how this person has influenced your education and personal journey.

Writing a meaningful nomination letter is a more than checking boxes on a survey. But it’s worth it — not only can a nomination advance your teacher’s career, but writing it can also help you reflect on your academic growth.

Submit nomination letters online by Oct. 1 at provost.unc.edu/teaching-awards.