Opinion: UNC ought to be a campus where it’s safe to 'bee'

Big problems can often lie hidden. While the honey bee might only be a few millimeters long, making sure it is thriving can lead to a happier existence for us humans.

Bees are dying out at an alarming rate. The drastic decline in South Carolina’s bee population last month made national headlines as researchers look for ways to save our bee population.

Tar Heels in Chapel Hill and across the nation ought to unite and promote efforts to keep bees alive. Bees help feed us and give us honey — clearly we owe them.

Even someone with an ardent case of melissophobia (fear of bees) would acknowledge that bees, despite their scary stingers, do a great deal of work for humanity.

While it is true that honey bees can sting, they are not predatory. They only sting to protect their hives — which results in the loss of their life.

If you’re concerned about getting stung, follow a strict “leave the bees alone” rule and generally you will be okay.

Even if you get stung, the temporary pain pales in comparison to the benefits you receive from the local bee population.

Without these pollinators, spring graduation photos would not be as vibrant and, you know, growing food would be much more difficult.

Some actions students and UNC can take include building on-campus bee hives. As stated in a previous editorial, the roof of the student union could be ideal and out of the way.

Secondly, making sure all plants grown on campus are native to the area is helpful and gives bees plants they are more used to pollinating.

Also, removing pesticides from one’s gardening tools can help ensure bees are not needlessly dying.

Concerned off-campus students with available backyards can even consider joining the Orange County Beekeepers Association and build a hive of their own.

Beekeeping can be a rewarding and recreational activity for a student hobbyist.

The Carolina community prides itself on being proactive and sustainable in its endeavors on campus.

Helping out the bees of Chapel Hill is not a hard or costly project, and it will help ensure the campus stays beautiful for years to come.