Student Congress approves funding for three organizations

Student Congress met Tuesday evening in the Genome Science Building

Student Body Vice President Sam Green started the meeting announcing the executive branch’s plan to work with the sexual assault prevention task force to look for more student feedback. 

Caroline Bass, a sophomore, was approved as the representative to choose the undergraduate teaching awards nominee. Four newly elected members were welcomed to Student Congress. Student groups Sangam, Delta Sigma Iota and the UNC table tennis club advocated to Student Congress for funds. 

Who spoke?

Student Body Treasurer Harry Edwards said a motion to increase the undergraduate student application fee from $80 to $85 was denied, as well the establishment of a program enhancement fee for the undergraduate business program. The undergraduate business fee would be $3,000 for majors and $1,500 for minors per year. This fee could still be instated in the future, or a change in tuition fees for undergraduates in the business school could happen instead. 

UNC Sangam Vice President Hiren Gihwala and Treasurer Brian Lobo presented a proposal for funding for their two biggest events this year — the dance competition Aaj Ka Dhamaka and the performance of comedian Hasan Minhaj. 

“The biggest event we put on is Aaj Ka Dhamaka, which we’re going to talk about later," Gihwala said. "We’ve been doing that for 16 years. It’s an intercollegiate dance competition that happens every year where we bring 218 dancers from across the country,” said Gihwala. 

Gihwala said 1,400 people attend the event each year. However, he said last year the event was cancelled due to inclement weather, which caused them to lose money.

“Our organization is what it is because of Aaj Ka Dhamaka,” Gihwala said.

Sangam’s motion for the Student Congress to provide money to bring Hasan Minhaj to the Aaj Ka Dhamaka event was denied.

Gihwala said without the comedian, three organizations would be impacted: UNC Sangam, Monsoon and UNC Muslim Students Association. 

"That was supposed to be MSA’s premier event this year," Gihwala said. "And if that one doesn’t happen, that’s not only impacting us, that’s impacting them and Monsoon.” 

All three organizations are collaborating to ensure the Hasan Minhaj event will happen, but as it stands, Student Congress will provide money for the Aaj Ka Dhamaka event but not Hasan Minhaj.

“That event, regardless, it’ll happen,” Gihwala said.

Delta Sigma Iota, a South Asian fraternity, also presented a proposal asking for money and was approved. The money is primarily for their South Asian a cappella competition, Sangeet Saagar. 

Why was this meeting important?

Members of congress said their limited funds need to be used for different campus groups and not just for the purpose of one speaker.

When are they meeting again?

Full congress meets every two weeks and student committees meet on alternating weeks.