Student Congress creates gender-neutral Student Code

Student Congress met Tuesday evening in the Genome Science Building

Senior Cole Simons, speaker of Student Congress, has recently deemed the student code gender neutral. Simons said he believes Student Congress had to create an inclusive environment on campus.

“When the realization occurred that the Student Code used he/she pronouns throughout, the decision to pursue making the Code gender-neutral was a no-brainer for me,” Simons said.

He said there was very little debate about approving this measure.

“I think the recognition of the act is important, but I hesitate to say we deserve praise for adopting gender-neutral pronouns,” Simons said.

“It’s something that needed to be done, and the rest of the Congress recognized that.”

Simons also implemented four select committees geared toward making all voices heard. The committees will focus on academics, campus development, health and campus climate.

Junior Sarah Hudak, who serves as chairperson of the committee on health, said she believes Student Congress is obligated to look out for particular student groups, including transfer students, first generation students, students of color and LGBTQ students.

Hudak said the input and participation of these students within Student Congress is greatly desired because of the unique insight and experience they can provide in the mission toward making UNC a more welcoming place for all.

Student Congress has plans to do this in a twofold process, Hudak said.

“The first half of the year will mainly be building reports about issues, and the second half will be devoted to change,” she said.

Junior Kennith Echeverria, who serves as chairperson of the committee on academics, said he hopes to see Student Congress consider students’ needs and desires when designing an academic system that best fits all UNC students.

“The purpose of Student Congress is to represent and solve the concerns of all students on campus within a more narrowed, focused realm,” he said.

Working toward diversity is not confined to the four committees. First-year Student Congress member Tarik Woods said he praises Student Congress for embracing a more diverse group of people.

He said after he was appointed, he took diversity into his own hands.

“Recently, I decided to create a staff of students from my district to assist me in connecting with their opinions and ideas,” Woods said. “This staff is very diverse and includes women, men, different races and religions, members of the LGBT community and more. Diverse impact stretches much further than just being in session.”