Students showcase art appreciation in response to Wells Fargo ad

The ads that Wells Fargo ran. They have since apologized for the ad campaign. 

Moninghoff, a senior sociology major, stood in front of the Student Union in support of the arts. She held a homemade frame in the shape of a stage, and various props to use in photos to turn into a photo campaign showcasing adoration for all art forms.

“My craft is dance,” Moninhoff said. “I’ve been dancing and taking ballet lessons since I was 4 years old.”

The idea for the photo campaign protest was sparked by a Wells Fargo advertisement that read, “A ballerina yesterday, an engineer today,” and “An actor yesterday, a botanist today.” Wells Fargo apologized publicly for the ad campaign on Sunday.

Kate Jones, a junior dramatic art and communications performance studies major, was the organizer. She said she felt compelled to do so because she was upset by the ad.

“I was really frustrated,” Jones said. “I want to pursue a career in the arts, and this company, who I have a bank account with, is basically saying it’s not important, that you should pursue careers that are more kosher with the rest of what everyone thinks is a good career.”

So she and her housemates decided to hold the protest right outside the campus Wells Fargo branch on Wednesday morning.

“It still shows people that we do care about the arts,” Jones said. “Just because the arts may not be the most financially stable career, it’s still something that you can love and make a change with, and that’s important for the community.”

What Jones tried to get across, she said, is that students can be artists while still pursuing other fields of study.

Katherine Murdoch, a sophomore chemistry major, is one of the people who felt art shouldn’t be disregarded in favor of other subjects.

“Am I not credible as an actor because I’m going into science?” she said. “Am I not creditable as a scientist because I have this experience in acting and that’s how I think of the world?”

Murdoch, who pursued acting for 12 years before coming to UNC, said the idea of an art-science binary furthers divisions among peers.

“I think here, where we’re so divided by our majors, it’s important to ask what really identifies a person as a scientist? What really identifies a person as an artist?” she said. “Can they have tinges of both potential in one person? Because I definitely think so.”

Jones said she was pleased with how many students showed their support.

“We’re trying to portray life, through what we do,” she said. “We have to understand all facets of life, so that includes diversity, that includes any major — it includes everyone.”

@pconnellly

swerve@dailytarheel.com