UNC football trails Georgia 14-10 in Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game

Georgia running back Nick Chubb (27) stiff arms UNC defensive end Malik Carney (53). Chubb rushed for 222 yards in Georgia's 33-24 win over the Tar Heels on Saturday in Atlanta.

ATLANTA  After a back-and-forth affair in the first half, the North Carolina football team trails Georgia 14-10 in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta. Here's what to know from the first 30 minutes in Atlanta. 

Where is Hood?

Much to the chagrin of Tar Heel fans, preseason All-ACC running back Elijah Hood touched the ball just seven times in the first half — with five of those coming in the final seven minutes of the half.

Hood busted a 32-yard gain on his third rush of the game, but Coach Larry Fedora has favored quarterback Mitch Trubisky and senior tailback T.J. Logan throughout the contest.

Hood has been productive in limited opportunities, but UNC might want to feature the junior back more often if it hopes to avoid shades of the South Carolina loss from 2015.

The beast unleashed

If anyone was worried about the health Georgia running back Nick Chubb entering the game, the UNC run defense squelched any concerns.

The senior embarrassed the Tar heels in the first half, amassing 118 yards and a touchdown on 20 carries. Chubb made his mark from the opening series and continued to bowl through North Carolina's front seven with reckless abandon.

UNC's pass defense has held its own through 30 minutes, but another big half from Chubb could bury the Tar Heels in the second half.

Trubisky struggles downfield

In his first game as a starter, Trubisky has tried his fair share of deep attempts to his talented stable of receivers. But he's yet to connect on a downfield throw this game.

The redshirt junior shorted a pass to senior Ryan Switzer early in the first quarter and overthrew his next attempt. The third was a perfect strike to receiver Austin Proehl -- who promptly dropped the pass.

With dynamic deep threat Mack Hollins set to take the field in the second half, Trubisky should look to the senior receiver to break through the Georgia secondary and jumpstart an inconsistent UNC offense.