UNC women's soccer avoids third straight loss with 3-0 win over Virginia Tech

UNC junior midfielder Annie Kingman (7) dribbles downfield during the Thursday night game against Virginia Tech.

After getting shut out last weekend in its historic loss to N.C. State, the No. 18 Tar Heels laid it on the No. 19 Virginia Tech Hokies with a 3-0 win at Fetzer Field on Thursday.

The Tar Heels (6-2-1, 1-1 ACC) had an impressive showing against the Hokies (8-3, 0-2 ACC) in all aspects of the game with the help of redshirt senior goalkeeper Lindsey Harris.

UNC gave up 16 shots to Virginia Tech, but fortunately for the Tar Heels, only half of those were on goal. 

The shots that were on frame were swatted away time after time by Harris, who posted a 10-save shutout — just short of her career high.

Two Tar Heels scored goals, while four different players picked up assists in an all-around team effort that stifled Virginia Tech.

First-year Bridgette Andrzejewski had a night to remember, as the forward scored her third and fourth goals of the season. 

Andrezejewski shot down any hopes Virginia Tech had of forcing a tie in the second half by providing a third UNC goal that really downed the Hokies’ hopes of a comeback.

Harris supplemented her team’s offense with her shutout, as she repeatedly denied the Hokies from getting on the board while a staunch North Carolina defense played in front of her.

Though UNC’s first goal came in the 14th minute, it appeared as though the Tar Heels were sure they weren’t going to suffer a third straight loss right from the initial kickoff.

Pressure was mounting on the Hokies as UNC took free kick after free kick early on, with Maya Worth sending the ball across the box despite no teammates being able to connect.

Minutes later, North Carolina broke through and was rewarded for its persistence. Junior midfielder Annie Kingman scored UNC's first goal when Worth, yet again, created a chance. Kingman slotted the ball past the Hokies goalkeeper and the Tar Heels never looked back.

This win was an important one for a team that was in danger of losing three straight games for only the third time in program history.

With pressure mounting on the team to perform — as this year’s senior class could be the first set of graduates without a national title under Coach Anson Dorrance’s guidance — this statement win can provide a temporary relief from the high expectations to perform.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels will travel to Clemson, where they will take on the Tigers at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

@Nicole_Caporaso