What to watch for in UNC football's matchup with Florida State

The Tar Heels (3-1, 1-0 ACC) are coming off a thrilling 37-36 win over Pittsburgh. But the Seminoles (3-1, 0-1 ACC) are fresh off a dismantling of South Florida and need to beat UNC to contend with Louisville and Clemson for the ACC Atlantic Division title.

How do they play?

The Seminoles boast one of the best players in the nation, and they aren’t afraid to use him.

Junior Dalvin Cook paces Florida State’s offense, which has gained more yards rushing (979) than passing (970) this season. Redshirt first-year Deondre Francois has managed the Seminoles in his first year under center, but the team’s scoring success is dependent on the ground game.

Last season, Florida State’s defense was one of its strengths — allowing 17.5 points per game, second-fewest in the ACC. But after allowing high-scoring efforts against No. 16 Ole Miss (34 points), No. 3 Louisville (63 points) and South Florida (35 points), the Seminoles will be hard-pressed to corral a top-30 offense in North Carolina.

Who stands out?

Cook could have the best game of his life Saturday.

After earning unanimous All-ACC honors in 2015, the junior paces all running backs in the conference with 495 yards this season.

Unlike the bruising styles of Nick Chubb and James Conner, Cook will attempt to scurry through the UNC defense. And with his excellent vision and cutback ability, the standout back should torch the Tar Heels’ reeling rush defense this weekend.

What is their biggest weakness?

Sophomore safety Derwin James — who earned Freshman All-American honors a year ago — entered this season as one of the highest regarded defenders in the nation.

But since he tore the meniscus in his knee three weeks ago, the defense has struggled to fill his void in the secondary. Florida State has allowed 8.94 yards per passing attempt and ranks 91st in passing efficiency defense.

Enter Mitch Trubisky — the most efficient passer in the nation — and one of the most dangerous receiving corps in the nation. If the Seminoles struggle to secure the middle of the field, UNC could take full advantage.

Why could they win?

Taking down Florida State in Tallahassee is a tough task for any team.

The Seminoles haven’t lost at home since 2012, when rival Florida escaped Doak S. Campbell Stadium with a win. Since then, 22 teams have tried to match the feat — and 22 teams have failed.

If Cook and co. take advantage of North Carolina’s front seven and the Florida State defense stands tall against Trubisky, the Seminoles should have no trouble extending their home winning streak.

@CJacksonCowart