What to watch for in UNC football's matchup with Illinois

Illinois quarterback Wes Lunt (12) looks to pass the ball during the game against Murray State at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, September 3. The Illini won 52-3.

Now, with a rematch looming this Saturday in Champaign, UNC fans will be hoping for a repeat result. A 33-24 loss to Georgia in the team’s season opener gives this weekend’s contest a whole new significance. The Fighting Illini crushed Murray State, 52-3, in their first game, but beating a team of UNC’s caliber would cement their status as a legitimate threat this season.

How do they play?

Illinois welcomes Lovie Smith as its new head coach this season, and with him a whole new team approach.

Smith eliminated last season’s spread offense in favor of a more run-heavy attack. In its season opener, the Fighting Illini rushed for 287 yards on 40 carries. And if the team does need to air out the ball, experienced quarterback Wes Lunt has proven more than capable of doing so.

Smith is much more well-known for his defensive knowledge. The former Chicago Bears and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach instilled tenacity and turnovers to his new side to much avail, as the team recorded six sacks and two interceptions in Week 1.

Who stands out?

The offense runs through Lunt, a former three-star recruit. He originally committed to Oklahoma State before transferring to Illinois, where he’s started 20 games. Last season he threw for 2,761 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Illinois’ defense is the team’s strength, though, headlined by defensive end Dawuane Smoot.

The senior finished last season with 15 tackles for loss and eight sacks, which earned him a place on the preseason list for the Bednarik Award, given annually to college football’s best defender.

Biggest weakness?

The biggest challenge for Illinois will be keeping its offense in rhythm. UNC proved last season it could shut down Lunt’s arm, meaning the Fighting Illini should be looking to punish the Tar Heels’ porous run defense.

Running backs Ke’Shawn Vaughn and Kendrick Foster will have to take advantage of those chances to dictate the game’s pace, or else Illinois will be in trouble with Lunt throwing to catch up.

Why could they win?

If Illinois can exploit UNC’s poor run defense — Georgia rushed for 289 yards last week — and force turnovers on defense, the Fighting Illini might be able to make good on their namesake.

Smith’s group has the talent to turn poorly-thrown passes and fumbles into points, and there’s no guarantee UNC’s offense can keep up.

Illinois’ best bet is to run, run, keep the ball away from UNC’s offense and then run some more.

@BrendanRMarks