What to watch for in UNC football's matchup with Pittsburgh

James Conner (27) drives downfield with the ball. Photo courtesy of Jeff Ahearn/The Pitt News. 

The North Carolina football team will begin its run at a second straight ACC Coastal Division title when it takes on Pittsburgh in its conference opener at 3:30 on Saturday at Kenan Stadium. 

The Tar Heels (2-1) and the Panthers (2-1) have met in each of the past three seasons, and UNC has come out on top all three times. North Carolina hopes to continue that streak Saturday and to begin with a 1-0 start in ACC play. 

How do they play?

As was anticipated before the season, Pittsburgh's offense is predicated on the ground game. The leader of the rushing attack is redshirt junior running back James Conner — who currently leads the team with 281 rushing yards and three touchdowns. 

The Panthers also use a stable of running backs to spell Conner, including Quadree Henderson and Qadree Ollison, who have proven to be serviceable ball carriers when called. 

Pittsburgh has struggled on defense so far this season, but the Panthers succeeded in pressuring the quarterback with their defensive line. Pittsburgh is currently tied for second in the ACC with 13 sacks, while redshirt senior defensive lineman Ejuan Price is tied for fourth in the country with 4.5 sacks. 

Who stands out?

Conner established himself as Pittsburgh's feature back in his first two seasons, earning All-American honors for his 2014 campaign — when he rushed for 1,765 yards and 26 touchdowns. 

The running back's season was cut short last year after he suffered a knee injury in the Panthers' season opener. In December, Conner announced he had been diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma. 

Conner participated in offseason workouts while undergoing chemotherapy, and he announced he was cancer-free in May. In his second game back this season, the redshirt junior gained 146 yards from scrimmage and scored two touchdowns in Pittsburgh's 42-39 win over Penn State. 

In his last game against the Tar Heels, Conner racked up 220 rushing yards and four touchdowns in a 40-35 UNC win in 2014. North Carolina is hoping to prevent a similar performance from the running back Saturday. 

What is their biggest weakness?

In their only loss of the season so far, the Panthers allowed Oklahoma State to throw for 540 yards and two touchdowns in a 45-38 loss. Pittsburgh currently ranks 124th of 128 teams in the country in passing yards allowed, which is the worst in the ACC in that category. 

Because of the struggles in the secondary, the Panthers' offense had to put up big numbers as well — something the group isn't accustomed to. While Pittsburgh quarterback Nathan Peterman is an efficient game manager, he is not one to put up gaudy numbers through the air. 

If Saturday's game becomes a shootout, the Panthers could struggle to keep up with North Carolina's potent offense. 

Why they could win? 

Luckily for Pittsburgh, its biggest strength coincides with the Tar Heels' biggest weakness. 

North Carolina is currently No. 106 in the country in rushing defense, giving up an average of 226.7 yards per game. 

If UNC's defense plays like it has in the first three weeks of the season, Conner and the Panthers could have a field day on the ground. If that happens and the defense comes up with a few stops, Pittsburgh could punch the Tar Heels right in the mouth on Saturday. 

@jbo_vernon