Every year I begin planning my Halloween costume months before the spookiest day of the year is even close. This year, after watching Wes Anderson’s film “Rushmore,” I decided I wanted to dress up as the movie’s hero, Max. I decided this in February (hey, I told you I plan early).

When I told a few friends about my idea for this year’s costume, I was met with the same response: Laughter, and then, “No one ever gets your Halloween costumes.” Although I hear this almost every year, I couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed.

I considered changing my idea. Should I change my costume in order to get more nods of recognition? I thought back to my last few years of costumes: Lydia Deetz from “Beetlejuice,” Alex from “A Clockwork Orange” and my most recent favorite, Margot from “The Royal Tenenbaums.”

I guess most of these aren’t the most recognizable. However, to me, part of the fun of Halloween (and a great way to break tension at the parties you go to) is to ask people what their costumes are.

I’ve been seeing all over the internet that this year’s most common female costume will likely be Harley Quinn from “Suicide Squad.” I find this hilarious considering that in the eighth grade I dressed as (a significantly more modest) Harley Quinn. Personally, I am excited to see the countless Harleys running to catch the late night P2P during Hall-o-weekend. Being recognized isn’t a good or bad thing.

I love Halloween in Chapel Hill. While I’m not a huge fan of getting smushed between all the drunk people on Franklin, I do love seeing the vast array of costumes. Chapel Hill is in luck this year; there are multiple nights to dress up, so the possibilities truly are endless. So why settle for one costume?

With two to three nights to go out, you might as well break out your best Harley Quinn and some obscure character from a comic no one recognizes.

My costume-guru advice? Go all out. Even if no one knows the character you’re dressed up as, be fearless! It’s more fun to be comfortable in your costume than to just go with something all your friends will recognize. Throughout my entire life, I’ve loved Halloween because it’s an opportunity to dress up as something you aren’t. We have so few opportunities to do that as almost grown-ups. 

Other costume advice might include avoiding any appropriative costumes (duh) and any costume involving an item that might be mistaken for a weapon (that’s a definite no). And please, take it easy with the couples’ costumes.

As for me, Max will make an appearance one evening. I also had a last-minute eureka costume idea. I’m channeling my favorite poet Sylvia Plath, oven included (hopefully there isn’t a chorus of groans happening somewhere in the near distance). 

This holiday is one of UNC’s best (even better than March Madness, to me); every Halloween, I’m reminded of how much fun it is to be a Tar Heel when everyone joins in. I can join the gaggle of Dorothys who are sure to be on Franklin when I say, “There’s no place like home.”