Letter: ​UNC has sold out, and no one asked for it

The University of North Carolina has sold out, and everyone is feeling the effects from it. Last summer, Barnes & Noble College bought out UNC Student Stores, causing prices to go up while hurting employees.

Honestly, Student Stores has always been overpriced, but at least the students could be sure that the money was going to benefit the University directly. Now that Barnes & Noble owns the store, I can’t help but feel that the University is disserving both itself and its students. Students can’t even be sure where their money is going anymore, and they’re paying more.

Prices for miscellaneous products around the store have gone up since the buy-out. Even the coffee is more expensive. Many students’ loudest complaint is that the Daily Grind, the former café attached to the Student Stores, has been replaced by Starbucks, stealing a once beloved part of UNC away from the students while once again asking them to pay more. Even the former Student Stores employees have suffered. Barnes & Noble has also taken away the state benefits employees used to have. No one ever asked for Barnes & Noble to cheapen our college experience, but now it’s too late.

Brian Shurney

Sophomore

Journalism and Music