Michelle Obama makes campaign stop for Hillary in Raleigh

Obama, who spoke in front of a crowd of around 6,000 at William Neal Reynolds Coliseum, praised Clinton’s experience and character, and said she is one of the most qualified people to ever run for president.

“The presidency does not change who you are, it reveals who you are,” she said.

Obama said individual votes make a difference. In 2008, President Obama carried North Carolina by 14,000 votes — which she said amounted to two or three votes per precinct.

“It’s not enough to go to a rally, get a selfie,” she said. “It’s not enough to get angry and just speak out about the change we need. We all must take action to elect folks who will stand with us to make that change happen.”

Doreen Pearson, a Raleigh resident who attended the rally, said this statement stuck with her.

“I mean, to just even break it down in that way, it’s like, wow,” she said. “Everyone says, ‘well, my vote doesn’t count’ — she put it in perspective.”

In a statement from the Republican National Committee, N.C. spokesperson Kara Carter said Obama’s appearance shows voters remain indifferent about Clinton.

“Unfortunately for the Clinton campaign, sending celebrities and now Michelle Obama to North Carolina only highlights the fact that she’s failed to inspire enthusiasm from the young voters she desperately needs to turn out come Nov. 8,” she said.

UNC junior Ryan Herrera, who attended the event, said he isn’t completely decided, but he’s likely going to vote for Clinton because she is a Democrat.

“I’m gonna vote for her just because she represents the majority of my beliefs and my ideals to a degree, but she’s not my ideal candidate,” Herrera said.

Obama acknowledged Clinton has faults, but said a third party vote is a vote for Trump.

“Here’s the reality: either Hillary Clinton or Trump will be president,” she said.

Hayden Vick, chairperson of the UNC College Republicans, said he’s not surprised Obama is campaigning for Clinton.

“The Obamas are very proactive,” Vick said. “She personally, she does not sit. She goes and she does.”

Former Gov. Jim Hunt and Senate candidate Deborah Ross introduced Obama and called for increased affordability in higher education.

Obama said higher education and other issues are at stake in the election.

“The choice we make on Nov. 8 could determine whether you can afford your college tuition,” Obama said. “It could determine whether you keep your health care when you graduate.”

@daniellechemtob