N.C. State Fair steps up its food game

courtesy of Taylor Mabrey

courtesy of Taylor Mabrey

We cover people, places and things that are important to UNC students, and the North Carolina State Fair is a key field trip to make at least once in your UNC career. From food to fun to dates to things you didn't know about the N.C. State Fair, check out the fair from all angles. 

As you may know, the N.C. State Fair is in full swing in Raleigh from Oct. 13 to Oct. 23. If you are anything like me, you care most about the large selection of fried foods that are available to you. 

This year when I visited the fair, I talked to people about their food choices, and then I picked out a tasty treat.

I started in line at Chick-N-Que, where they served something called the chicken luau pineapple bowl. Fair attendee Olga Kocharyanon saw it on the menu and thought it was interesting.

“It was sweet, and it had some soy sauce in it," she said. "It definitely needed more chicken.”

I had never seen anything like this before at the fair — it was something I could try to cook for myself for a regular dinner. In the pineapple, there was rice, chicken and vegetables. And if you didn’t already have enough pineapple, there were some slices on top to finish it off.

A classic and underrated fair snack is the corn on the cob. There are always multiple corn on the cob vendors throughout the fair grounds, and they all give you the same delicious corn grilled to perfection. Charlotte resident Raymond Galicia traveled all the way to Raleigh to eat this traditional fair delicacy. 

“It’s really good," he said. "I’ve been waiting all year for it.”

Thinking about dessert? Red velvet funnel cake was one of the most popular delicacies. Smothered in powdered sugar and cream cheese icing, it is definitely an upgrade from any regular ol' funnel cake. 

“It’s everything you would imagine it to be,” Tanisha Waugh said. 

You heard it here first. This is the one sweet treat you cannot forget to grab.

I got what I thought to be a trendy fair food — the chicken and waffle kabobs that were also from Chick-N-Que. If I had to describe them in one word, that word would be amazing. 

You get two kabobs with chunks of fried chicken and waffles on them, all drenched in either regular or spicy maple syrup. This is pure genius. You get chicken, you get waffles and your hunger gets satisfied. 

All in all, 10 out of 10 would recommend this to anyone that is planning on going to the State Fair this week.

The food journey doesn't end here — you can find anything at the fair from fried pickles to gyros. 

There is something for everyone, and even the picky eaters that only like tacos, pizza and turkey legs will be happy with their choices. Still not satisfied? You can buy chocolate-covered bacon. 

Go out and find a new favorite guilty pleasure!

@taygreymay

swerve@dailytarheel.com