No. 20 UNC men's golf places 5th at Tavistock Collegiate Invitational

The No. 20 North Carolina men’s golf team finished fifth place at the Tavistock Collegiate Invitational. The event took place at the Isleworth Golf and Country Club — one of the most challenging courses the Tar Heels will face all season — against a crop of teams that included No. 1 Illinois.

After a steady but unspectacular first day, in which first-year Austin Hitt led the way with a 1-under-par (71), the Tar Heels sat in 7th place.

However, the following day the team climbed to 4th thanks to a spectacular 6-under-par (66) by junior William Register, who tied for the second lowest round of the week. It is also the lowest round by a UNC player this season, surpassing the 4-under-par (68) by Henry Do in the first round of the Tar Heel Intercollegiate earlier this month.

Register stayed hot on the final day, firing a 1-under-par (71) in difficult conditions to post North Carolina’s lowest individual round for the second day in a row.

Despite his solid play, the Tar Heels couldn't climb up the leaderboard on the final day. Five costly double bogeys by the team on the back nine meant that UNC slipped to 5th place to finish the tournament, with a collective total score of 870, or 6-over-par, on the week.

There were some positives to be taken away for UNC this week, most notably the fact that they finished eight strokes ahead of Illinois, who entered as the No. 1 team in the country.

William Register was undoubtedly the Tar Heels’ best player on the week, finishing at 6-under-par as an individual, good enough to tie for fourth place in a field of 75 players.

“He played wonderfully," Coach Andrew Sapp said after the tournament. “It was great to see him play well in an elite field… I’m proud of how he played on day two and day three. 71 was a fantastic score in today’s (day three’s) conditions.”

His tie for fourth is his best tournament finish to date this season, and his 6-under-par total is his lowest total score this season as well, breaking his previous low total of 1-under-par that he set at the Rod Meyers Invitational in Durham in September.

The Tar Heels were in great position heading into the final round, trailing only one shot behind the team in third place and five shots behind the team in second. It took until the back nine on day three for the final position of the team to be determined, as some costly double bogeys left the team stuck in fifth.

The tournament provided UNC with a chance to build some experience and identify areas of improvement before taking several months off of competition before the season starts up in February. Based on the results of the tournament, the Tar Heels have a lot to be optimistic about.

Where do they play next?

The team won't tee it up again until Feb. 6, when the Tar Heels return to Florida to compete in the Sea Best Invitational.