Opinion: UNC should open up art classes to help students de-stress

Even though many of us are not particularly talented in the visual and performing arts, we can all agree that life at UNC gets stressful — especially during midterms.

The University requires all undergraduates to enroll in a Lifetime Fitness class to maintain physical well-being. We’re wondering why, in contrast, it’s nearly impossible to enroll in studio art and acting classes without majoring in art or drama.

The arts are key to a liberal arts education, too, aren’t they?

We know these classes are already oversubscribed, and of course students in the major should have priority — but the classes we’d like to take would be less intensive than courses in the major, which could save resources.

Art students have to buy their own supplies, so we understand if we have to do that, too. Unlike them, we can shop at CVS: Crayola for the win.

College is our chance to learn how to be adults, and knowing how and when to practice self-care is a big part of being a productive, healthy adult. Our world would be a little better if we all valued art, too — and it’s never too late to learn.

Creativity helps our minds breathe. Making something is a much healthier way to recover from midterm stress than Netflix, and it’s past time for us to value mental well-being as much as we value physical fitness.

If it’s not in the University’s budget to add a relaxed version of creative classes, we implore the Student Union, the Residence Hall Association and other organizations on campus devoted to taking care of students (we’re grateful, by the way) to help us take a break in a creative space.