Opinion: Walking in Chapel Hill ought to be better and safer

It is a wonderful time to be in Chapel Hill — from spooky decorations on Franklin Street to the leaves changing around the Old Well. Clearly, now is the time to compose the best Instagram photos and explore this wonderful area.

But doing this by car is boring, expensive and can often lead to missing the best parts of the town. While cars are a fast way to get from point A to point B, life should be more than convenience.

Walking is the cheapest and easiest way to explore. And if you are going long distances, taking the free public transit is a great alternative. You see more, for starters, but you also decrease the impact driving has on the local environment (both social and ecological).

While gasoline is pretty cheap now, who wants to pay for it? That money could be spent on coffee or alcohol. Kids, don’t drink and drive.

While the town is miles ahead of many other North Carolina cities, it still can use some improvements to ensure students, staff and townsfolk feel safer.

First, more crosswalks on major roads would be appreciated. Anyone who has ever crossed Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard knows the Frogger-esque gambit. There is a lack of crosswalks at the bus station, which compels students to cross the road in unsafe ways. Even if one walks to the crosswalk, many cars ignore the flashing lights, leaving the pedestrian terrified.

The scene is pretty common: a student spends late night studying and tries to cross the street, car does not see pedestrian, car swerves and honks, student feels unsafe.

While most occurrences end up with a mildly scared pedestrian and an annoyed driver, the fear is still awful.

On streets like these, the town should place a priority on ensuring that signs to stop or yield are clearly visible and that drivers are well aware of the fact that people are crossing.

Secondly, while not as important as pedestrian safety, walkability is important as well. Benches, seating areas and water fountains all make for a more walkable town, and seeing friends eating or relaxing on the sidewalks is always a highlight of walking down Franklin.

While it is unreasonable to say the town should abolish all parking spots, it would be nice to see those spaces used for small parks, seating areas at restaurants or as a resting place for dogs or bikes.

Chapel Hill Parking Day, where residents take over a few parking spots and set up a relaxing zone, would be a good, established model to base this off.

Lastly, plant life is key. It was a shame to see the town remove several old trees from Franklin Street a couple years ago. The shade cools the streets on hot days. The changing leaves give the town a fall aesthetic and trees are just really cool.

Also, more flowers would be nice. But don’t bother making them Carolina Blue — if our high school biology class taught us anything worthwhile, it is that pollinating bees will alter any plant colors. Oh, and by the way Chapel Hill, a beehive on Franklin Street would be super cool. Bees would make the street more vibrant. If you haven’t noticed, this page cares a lot about bees.

While all this may seem small, and the town is already a beautiful place to walk, we can still make it better.