Q&A with former UNC women's soccer player Katie Bowen

Midfielder Katie Bowen (15) dribbles down the sideline before a kick across goal.

Katie Bowen played for the North Carolina women’s soccer team from 2012-15. During her time with the Tar Heels, Bowen earned several ACC and national honors and was a big part of the 2012 team that won a national championship.

The defender from Auckland, New Zealand currently plays for FC Kansas City of the NWSL. She has represented New Zealand in both the 2012 and 2016 Olympics, and played for the Football Ferns in the 2015 Women’s World Cup.

Assistant Sports Editor Jeremy Vernon spoke to Bowen about her first year playing professionally, her experience at the Rio Olympics and her thoughts on the 2016 Tar Heels.

The Daily Tar Heel: You just wrapped up your first season in the NWSL. It didn’t end as successfully as you probably wanted it to, but what was your favorite moment from your first year?

Katie Bowen: There are a lot of great moments. I really enjoyed being with the team and the coach. I was quite nervous to leave Carolina because obviously I was very comfortable with Anson (Dorrance) and obviously some of my best friends were on my Carolina team, so I was nervous to go into that new environment. But I think just how welcoming they were, and it was kind of the little moments that were my favorite moments. Like just the fun that we had at practice and stuff like that just made it really special for me and just less daunting, because I just clicked with everyone straight away and it was cool.

DTH: After playing with you at UNC, Alexa Newfield was also drafted by Kansas City and was there with you during your first season. What was it like having a college teammate with you?

KB: It was awesome having Alexa. We were close in college ... And it just makes it, like I said, less daunting because you have a familiar face that greets you every day and to hang out with. And her and I actually live together, so it made the transition from college a lot easier because it was kind of like we were still partially in college. And it was good to have a friend there and someone you can talk to.

DTH: This summer you represented New Zealand in the Olympics for the second time. What was that like, and how was it different from the first time you went?

KB: In the first one I was an alternate, so it was like a completely different experience. This time I actually felt like a true Olympian. And while the results were kind of sucky and they didn’t go our way and we were disappointed with that, it’s the Olympics, so obviously it’s a really great experience ... Unfortunately, my family couldn’t be there, so that was one thing I would say was a big difference. Even though I was an alternate at the first one, my dad’s English so my family was there (in London) and they were able to see me, so that was a big difference. But being able to actually play this time and just play in the biggest sporting event in the world, it was just indescribable.

DTH: How often do you keep up with the UNC team now? Do you keep in touch with current players?

KB: It’s actually funny, I watch every single one of their games. And while it’s hard to watch because you want to be there so bad just because it was such a great experience for four years — my friend Summer Green and I always talk about that — you have to move on ... So I obviously keep in contact with Summer Green, who got drafted by Seattle, and then the current players I’m still in contact with are probably Hanna Gardner, Alex Kimball, Lindsey Harris ... and just keeping in touch with them, seeing how life is in Chapel Hill, because obviously I really miss that place ... I’m actually going back there on the 15th of this month, because I’m going to walk for graduation, so it will be cool to train with the team a bit and see everyone again.

DTH: What are your thoughts on UNC’s performance this season?

KB: I was lucky enough to be there for a couple of their preseason games, and I was a little worried watching them. It just seemed that they needed a bit more chemistry. They just looked like a young team, which is what they are. But honestly their development over these past few months has just been incredible. And watching them in particular against UCLA, it was great to see them combining and reading each other’s play, and it was just so good to see. Obviously there were some disappointing results like N.C. State, but they just have to learn from those mistakes and analyze film and just come back out. But then you know they beat Virginia Tech, 3-0, and then they drew to Virginia, and they’re a class team. They, I think, just need to be a bit more consistent, but it’s so good to see them connecting more and just the team chemistry really improving.

@jbo_vernon