Student Fee Advisory Subcommittee asks business school to revise fee

The Student Fee Advisory Subcommittee met Friday afternoon to continue to discuss proposals on student fees for business and biomedical engineering students and to hear proposals on transportation and nursing fees. 

After the Student Fee Audit Committee did not recommend the proposed increase in business school fees, the Student Fee Advisory Subcommittee decided to send the fee back to the business school with feedback and allow them to present a revised plan. 

“I mean, I think it’s either they revise their proposal with supporting information along the lines of the feedback we are going to provide,” said Brian Smith, assistant vice chancellor for finance and accounting. “If they don’t want to do that then I think our committee recommendation is to not approve or to not recommend.” 

Brad Ives, associate vice chancellor for campus enterprises, said the committee wanted to know how much the fee would be if the proposal were changed to include only admission expansion, diversity and expansion of career services. 

“We want to know what would it cost to expand the program, how much is that fee,” Ives said. “For that to move forward we’re also going to have to see the plan for increasing diversity.”

Harry Edwards, student body treasurer, said he was unhappy with the lack of student feedback that went into the current proposal. 

“I even remember talking to David Vogel (director of career development for the Undergraduate Business Program) in June and kinda ran through what the proposal might look like and I gave him a bunch of feedback and the proposal came through exactly as he had described it in June.” 

Ives said the want to ensure the fee is not higher than necessary for students while still meeting the needs of the school.

“I think in this committee we have a duty to put pressure back on people to justify why are you implementing the fees, what’s the minimum fee you can raise to keep Carolina affordable for people and still meet the objective,” Ives said.

Also at the meeting, the committee supported fees as presented for transportation and nursing.

The transportation fee is to accommodate growth while the department finalizes their five-year plan. The nursing fee is to prevent the need to increase lab sizes and reduce lab times, and to provide quality equipment to ensure the marketability of the school and its students.

SFAS also approved the revised biomedical engineering fee.

What’s next?

The committee is inviting business school representatives back to propose a revised plan on Oct. 28 and decide then whether or not to recommend the fee.

SFAS will also discuss an increase in the graduate school application fee and programing fee on Oct. 28.