The Yelp Elites of Chapel Hill

Yelp Elites are the millennial versions of food critics.

Romin Bonakdar, who graduated from the UNC School of Medicine in 2014, has been a Yelp Elite since 2011.  

“I didn't so much decide to be a Yelp Elite,” Bonakdar said. “I was sent an email by one of Yelp's employees stating that I had been selected and whether I wanted to accept it. I didn't know what it meant at the time, but thought it sounded like a neat title so I said sure.”

Though many Elites have written thousands of reviews, most also have jobs outside of reviewing restaurants.

“It can be hard because I am a medicine resident who routinely works around 70 hours a week, so carving out time for reviews can be challenging,” Bonakdar said. “Additionally, I often go to the same restaurants these days with my limited free time, all of which I have already reviewed, so it becomes harder to find new material, but it's a small price to pay for all the perks.”

There are many perks of being a Yelp Elite, including attending exclusive Elite-only events and getting free tickets to events like "Kinky Boots" at Durham Performing Arts Center or "Beericana," a craft beer festival in Holly Springs. 

“I went to my first real Yelp Elite Event in June of 2008 — a 1980s (themed) prom at a defunct bar in downtown Boston,” said John Lovett, a visiting lecturer at the University of Richmond who graduated from UNC with a PhD in political science in 2016. “After that, I was hooked. The experience was just that wonderful.”  

Lovett has been a Yelp Elite member since 2008. 

Some Elites also find joy in meeting other foodies in the area.

“The Yelp Elite community is my favorite part,” said Jinju Kim, who also graduated from UNC in 2016. “You can always rely on Yelp Elites to have the best reviews for local restaurants in the area. Food is definitely a common interest for everyone, no matter your background.” 

To become a Yelp Elite, you first have to be approved by someone in the secret Yelp Elite council. Elites are also re-evaluated annually by the council.

“I think the key (to becoming an Elite) is just providing good content to the website. The best way to do that is, of course, writing useful reviews for businesses you know well," Bonakdar said. "Eventually, if you are active enough on the website with helpful contributions, you will likely get consideration as Elite."

His advice to users who want to become Elites? Be patient. 

"It's usually not enough to write 20 reviews in one sitting," he said. "You have to show some indication of a consistent commitment.”

Though Elite members are not well known to the public, they are sometimes noticed by restaurant owners.

“It was kind of weird when I was recognized for my reviews in-restaurant,” Lovett said. “That happened at least once in a place where I had not given a particularly sparkling review, and that made the subsequent dining experience weird, but for the most part I haven't had any particular difficulties being a Yelp Elite.” 

Some people just use Yelp for the experience of reviewing and discovering restaurants.

“Whether I'm (an) Elite, or not, really doesn't matter to me — I just like eating with friends and I want to document my experiences,” senior Alex Lam said. “A lot of people, including me, have a difficult time deciding where they want to eat." 

"I figured I could give them a hand wherever I've been.” 

@countingteacups

swerve@dailytarheel.com