UNC defense comes up big in 20-13 win against Miami

MIAMI North Carolina football turned in its best defensive performance of the season, limiting No. 16 Miami to 13 points and forcing a critical fumble to seal a 20-13 win on Saturday in Hard Rock Stadium.

After an offensive performance that was offensive in more ways than one last week against Virginia Tech, UNC wasted no time in redeeming itself. After 10 minutes of game time, the Tar Heels had already almost equaled their 131-yard output from a sloppy 34-3 loss to Virginia Tech the week prior.

Junior quarterback Mitch Trubisky found junior wide receiver Austin Proehl in the back of the endzone for a five-yard touchdown pass to make it 10-0 near the end of the first quarter. This was after UNC blocked a 35-yard Miami field goal attempt that would have tied the score.

But it was the defense that came up with the big plays to seal the win for the Tar Heels. After the offense failed to score in the second half, Miami got the ball back with 1:45 remaining and two timeouts, needing a touchdown. Sophomore Malik Carney turned the edge to sack quarterback Brad Kaaya, popping the ball loose for fellow sophomore Jeremiah Clarke to recover.

Halfway through the second quarter, the Hurricanes raced down the field with two catches from tight end David Njoku totaling 55 yards and seemed poised to tie the game. But on 4th-and-1, first year safety Myles Dorn broke up a pass intended for Njoku to once again deny the Hurricanes points.

The Tar Heels turned that drive into three points after a 52-yard Nick Weiler field goal. Then UNC added a touchdown pass to Ryan Switzer with 18 seconds before halftime for a 20-3 lead.

Miami turned up the defensive pressure in the second half and bottled up UNC’s offense. Junior running back Joseph Yearby had a two-yard touchdown run and another 42-yard run to set up a Miami field goal. With the deficit down to a touchdown and the rain starting to pour, it seemed like the win was slipping away from the Tar Heels — until the ball slipped away from Kaaya and UNC took control.

Multiple defenders made big plays for the Tar Heels all day. Junior cornerback M.J. Stewart broke up several passes and also forced an eight-yard loss in the backfield on a swing pass. First-year safety Myles Dorn also saw significant action. In addition to his pass breakup on fourth down in the second quarter, he had two touchdown saving tackles in the fourth quarter to help hold Miami to only three points.

On offense, senior wide receiver Bug Howard was uncoverable. He reeled in 10 passes for 156 yards, many of them against Miami’s best cornerback, Corn Elder. Ryan Switzer also broke UNC’s career record for receptions on a two-play sequence in the fourth quarter including a critical third-down conversion, though his nine catches on the day only went for 17 yards.

Trubisky also had a few rough spots. He threw behind receivers multiple times, often with Switzer, but finished the game 33-46 for 299 yards and two scores while also rushing for 47 yards.

After a Miami first down on the first play of its two-minute drill, Malik Carney turned the edge and hit Kaaya before he was able to release a pass deep down the field to a receiver matched up with linebacker Cole Holcomb. Clarke then tried to scoop up the ball a few times, bobbling the wet pigskin for a few steps before finally securing it and the win.

UNC keeps its hopes of a second straight ACC Coastal Division championship alive with the win over Miami. After Syracuse’s 31-17 upset win over No. 17 Virginia Tech, the Hokies, Pittsburgh and Tar Heels are all in the hunt with one loss apiece.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will travel to Charlottesville next Saturday to take on Virginia at 3 p.m. 

@loganulrich