UNC football leads No. 12 Florida State at halftime, 21-7

After 30 minutes in Tallahassee, Florida, the North Carolina football team boasts a commanding 21-7 lead over No. 12 Florida State. Here's what happened in the first half.

Field goal follies

On all three of Florida State's drives in the first quarter, the Seminoles marched at least 40 yards and threatened deep in UNC territory.

But each time, the Tar Heels stood tall on third down to force a field-goal attempt by first-year kicker Ricky Aguayo — the younger brother of three-time All-American and NCAA all-time points leader Roberto Aguayo.

And three times, Aguayo missed.

Conversely, the Tar Heels converted three of their first four drives into touchdowns to mount an early 21-0 lead over the heavily-favored Seminoles.

Logan's heroics

Another game, another breakout performance for running back T.J. Logan.

The senior has been a spark for UNC this game, turning eight touches into 98 yards and two touchdowns. The first came off a 22-yard dumpoff pass from Trubisky, while the second was a burst up the middle for UNC's second score of the afternoon.

If Logan can continue his explosive yards per touch average, he could surpass 200 yards by the end of the night.

Efficient Trubisky

As he has all season long, Mitch Trubisky has been a model of efficiency.

In the biggest start of his career, the redshirt junior quarterback went 15-for-17 for 186 yards and a touchdown in the first half — adding another score on a 4-yard scamper in the second quarter on what seemed like a sure sack.

Trubisky earned national honors after a majestic performance against Pittsburgh in last week's 37-36 comeback win. If he can topple a top-15 team on the road and snap the nation's longest home winning streak, more accolades could be in order.

@CJacksonCowart